X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade nvidia drivers

Hi,

I have kubuntu 8.1 and I have the version 172 of nvidia drivers, I've installed this version with envy. Now, I would like to upgrade the nvidia drivers to 180.29 but if I execute envy I only can upgrade to 177 and I think that I must upgrade from command line instead with envy.

Could you help me how could I do that?

Many thanks and sorry for my english!

Re: Upgrade nvidia drivers

There are 180.29 packages (which I use without issues) in this ubuntu ppa.
    To learn how to add it read here and here .
    Then simply install nvidia-glx-180 and you're done.

Or you could directly download the packages from the ppa and install them manually.

Comment

Thanks!

But I dont have to uninstall the drivers that actually I have?

Comment

Originally posted by mierdatuti
        But I dont have to uninstall the drivers that actually I have?
        I am no longer familiar with envy, so I do not really know. I used to install the nvidia binaries and had to remove them prior to installing the nvidia-glx packages.

Comment

Is it the case that if I am using version 172 of the driver and I wait the new 1.8 version will become available ?

If so does anybody have dates ?

I am slightly against adding new repositories due to screwing up several installs in the past.

for example I had extra repositories added on one install to have kde nightly builds, once KDE 4.2 was realeased this fubar'd the whole system needing a fresh install.

are there issues with adding these repositories in the future ?

Comment

You need not add the repository. You could just download the packages and install them manually.

Comment

I started to have trouble after using envyng to install the driver after I upgrade to Intrepid , so I switched to just using the installation directions from the NVIDA website

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_180.22.html

However, for some reason with my EN8500GT and old Sony CPD-G400 it seems the only driver that works well is the beta NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.06-pkg2.run. When I use the latest releases, my monitor pops,cracks and sparks, so I use the beta version. If I use the Kubuntu default or open drivers the monitor looks good but blinks off every 20 -30 seconds , very annoying. I plan on getting a new monitor, just didn't get around to it yet. I know it's odd the beta version works better, but it does on my system.

on edit: link to beta?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_180.06.html

Comment

I had the same issues you describe on a 32bit Intrepid with KDE 4.1.x. Indeed, the 180.06 did work very well for me. The latest stable release is 180.29, perhaps they might work better. Did not encounter these issues with KDE 4.2 in both Intrepid and now Jaunty.

Comment

Working...
                X