This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF (SOLVED)

Oh it's the simple ones that keep getting me!

Problem: Okular wont load/open pdf files, nor does Ghostscript which opens then vanishes without a trace. pdfview also cannot open files for some reason.

Firefox displays hundreds of 'untitled' tabs as it downloads PDF, goes into a loop and finally reports 'not responding'.

Urgh - any suggestions re a good PDF viewer and does anyone know what Firefox is up to do?

Help appreciated as my work requires PDF functionality and now I am totally KUBUNTU Windoze ain't there for backup.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: PDF

Urgh - any suggestions re a good PDF viewer
    I don't know about goodnes but there is the proprietary option:

Package: acroread
    Adobe Acrobat Reader: Portable Document Format file viewer

Adobe Reader is an Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files viewer.

If you need to complete fillable forms, you will need to install the
    acroread-plugins package.

Acroread is from the Medibuntu repositories > FAQ: Repositories >> Medibuntu
    Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc).
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I'm using Okular in Intrepid, and I have zero problems opening .pdf files. Have you had this problem since installing/upgrading to II, or was it working and then not working. If the latter, when did it start, and more importantly, can you remember what you did before it stopped working?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Some important pdf packages are:
        libpoppler-qt4-3
        libpoppler-glib3
        libpoppler3
        poppler-utils

There may be others as well. You might want to make sure you have all these installed, or even uninstall/reinstall them. You could even try uninstalling/reinstalling okular.

It definitely sounds like some part of the pdf system on your computer went kaput.

Comment

Hello.

I've added Adobe for the moment but will reinstall Okular.

As far as I know everything was working ok but then just went belly-up although Ghostscript did its vanishing trick from 'day one'. The *poppler* files were all present but something somewhere is/was broken.

I'll do the reinstall etc and let you know the outcome.

Thanks to Rog131, Snowhog and Nate.

Comment

Ok I was going to re-install Okular BUT it will take out Digikam and the Kipi-plugins which I am using for image work. Cannot use Gwenview as its functionality within KDE 4.2 is not anywhere near what I need so I'm sticking with Digikam until (perhaps) Gwenview catches up. Meanwhile using Acrobat.

I'm a happy Kubuntu Bunny again. TVM.

Comment

Working...
            X