This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horrible resize performance with compositing

I have a laptop with a RADEON HD 3650 graphical card, using the restricted drivers.

Compositing works quite well, except when a window is resized: the framerate drops from about 40/50 fps to about one frame per 2 seconds(!!) Opening new windows is slow as well, so the problem might be related to a very slow redraw. When compositing turned off the resizing and showing of windows is a lot faster...

I wonder if this is a known issue, and if someone has an idea on how to solve it. Even turning resize animations off would help to make the computer more useable...

Re: horrible resize performance with compositing

Hi, for me this is a very well known issue, but generally it is not. That's why you haven't gotten any replies with this topic. I was in some situation a while ago. Nobody really knows what causes this. Couple of guys tried to help me in here -> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100829.0,

But they couldnt help me solve my issue, I just ended up spending lots of time. I have Nvidias GT 9600M on my laptop.

1 thing that i know might help you is to switch from kwin windows manager to compiz windows manager. It drastically boosted compositing performance in my laptop but it also created some other problems.

Btw, can you use all the kwins special effects like destkop zoom and invert colors? I ask it becouse when i use them then kubuntu completely crashes, i can only move my mouse and the screen is frozen, nothing helps i just have to hold the power button down for few secs to turn my laptop off and then start again.

Comment

Two questions, have you tried the Vesa video driver as it should work in just about any case?

And have you tried to shut down with the 'Magic Keys'?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Comment

1.I'm not sure if i have tried vesa driver, if it is the driver which is automatically installed when i install kubuntu, then yes.
        I use nvidias driver 180.26 atm

2.Yes i have tried alt+sysreq+rseiub and it doesent work in case i use certain kwin effects like invert colors or desktop zoom

Comment

Working...
        X