This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet sluggish

Have been using Kubuntu 8.10 for some time now and love it. I have almost made a complete transition from Windows except for above. When using internet through Firefox3 it is pretty damn slow compared to the same on Vista which zips through the pages (same machine on a dual-boot). Now I also use openSuse on another machine and even that is slow compared to Vista.What is the crack with Linux. Is this just an anomaly of Linux or is there something I can do to its configuration to speed it up. Other than this, great, but I want to dump Windows completely. Bear in mind I am not totally up on Linux but I can negotiate my way around where needed

Thanks

Re: Internet sluggish

I have the same issues. I think it's Firefox. Torrents aren't slow, Konqueror isn't slow. Firefox sure is though.

Comment

Try next

Open Dolphin > View > Show Hidden Files > .mozilla > firefox > hdh15g.default

search after "urlclassfier3.sqlite" and delete this file. Next time you start firefox it should respons much quicker.

Regards

ps: sorry for the english.
      Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

Thanks cantodea, but doesn't seem to be any different. Still slow loading pages.

Comment

Other posts have talked of this.
          I installed bind9, which is probably overkill but did resolve the slow DNS of KDE 4.2 for me.
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Linux is not slow but Firefox might be:
            http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benc...its-not-pretty
            But you're looking at only some ~25% difference.

Comment

Try Opera (Very nice) while your looking for a answer to your problem with Firefox . There are number of threads over at the Ubuntu forum on slow internet with Firefox.Google it.

http://www.opera.com/

Comment

The problem of Opera is that it's according to the site I mentioned even slower than Firefox.
                According to their tests you'd be best off running the Windows version in wine.
                I would suggest a native Linux browser like Konqueror.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                  The problem of Opera is that it's according to the site I mentioned even slower than Firefox.
                  According to their tests you'd be best off running the Windows version in wine.
                  I would suggest a native Linux browser like Konqueror.
                  Yeah I see what your saying .Strangely enough Konqueror runs real slow on my setup compared to Firefox or Opera ...really slow . On my Windoze machine ie is slower than firefox or Opera ..... ... Itry to stay away from windoze as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X