Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Files not showing in Dolphin when USB drive inserted (update)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Files not showing in Dolphin when USB drive inserted (update)

I solved this on my own and am posting this as [SOLVED] from the start as an FYI.

I inserted my Corsair Flash Voyager 8 GB USB drive, which is detected and automounted properly and visible as 'shd1' in /media (/media/sdh1/) but dolphin showed an empty folder. However, the "find file" feature found all 8 thousand some odd files.

Solution: ludicrously simple! I went into Dolphin settings and changed "Maximum File Size" under Configure Dolphin > View Modes > File Previews to the minimum value (1 MB). Instantly, everything appeared!

Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex/ KDE 4.2.0

Hell, before I upgraded to 8.10 I had to use a "storage device manager" application to even mount the thing; now it mounts right away as does my m3 player (which I previously had to do "sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd" to get to mount.

--------------

Update: 2/10/09. Now something isn't working quite right when I tried it this morning.

- It does not auto-mount, but I am able to mount it manually (owned by root)

- I am able to then get the files to show using the Dolphin trick

- But, I can't move files to or from it The right-click options to paste files I copied from another folder, to create new folders, rename files or folders, are grayed out. I tried mounting/unmounting and from different USB ports, and remounting with the command to mount with ownership by user, or myself (uid=1000, gid=1000), tried changing ownership and changing permissions. Even when they went though in the Dolphin terminal window with no apparent problem it made no difference in the drive displayed in Dolphin - properties remained unchanged when I right-click I still can't DO anything in my drive. I also tried the cp command from the terminal, with no success.

This morning I had to (gasp!) log into my WIndows drive so I could use the flash drive. I like a lot of things in Linux/Kubuntu and have been using it the vast majority of the time rather than my WIndows XP installation (since I made the switch in Sept), but this USB nit was driving me nuts.

In the KDE 3.5 Dolphin there was the "open as root" function that I can't find in the new Dolphin that had at times solved this kind of problem, but I'm not sure how to do the same here. Again, it's Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with KDE 4.2.0

Re: [SOLVED] Files not showing in Dolphin when USB drive inserted

Update: on re-mounting of this drive, I had to change the display settings again for folders and files to show up. It seems to be a matter of changing the settings, then, rather than any particular setting.

EDIT: should be "...for directories and files to show up..."

Comment

Re: [un-SOLVED] Files not showing in Dolphin when USB drive inserted (update)

bump: see update

Update: 2/10/09. Now something isn't working quite right when I tried it this morning.

- It does not auto-mount, but I am able to mount it manually (owned by root)

- I am able to then get the files to show using the Dolphin trick

- But, I can't move files to or from it Huh The right-click options to paste files I copied from another folder, to create new folders, rename files or folders, are grayed out. I tried mounting/unmounting and from different USB ports, and remounting with the command to mount with ownership by user, or myself (uid=1000, gid=1000), tried changing ownership and changing permissions. Even when they went though in the Dolphin terminal window with no apparent problem it made no difference in the drive displayed in Dolphin - properties remained unchanged when I right-click I still can't DO anything in my drive. I also tried the cp command from the terminal, with no success.

This morning I had to (gasp!) log into my WIndows drive so I could use the flash drive. I like a lot of things in Linux/Kubuntu and have been using it the vast majority of the time rather than my WIndows XP installation (since I made the switch in Sept), but this USB nit was driving me nuts.

In the KDE 3.5 Dolphin there was the "open as root" function that I can't find in the new Dolphin that had at times solved this kind of problem, but I'm not sure how to do the same here. Again, it's Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with KDE 4.2.0

Comment

To open a file manager as root:
        8.10:
        kdesudo dolphin
        kdesudo konqueror

8.04:
        kdesu dolphin
        kdesu konqueror

You may open two copies, of course.
        Then work as root.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike

To open a file manager as root:
          8.10:
          kdesudo dolphin
          kdesudo konqueror

8.04:
          kdesu dolphin
          kdesu konqueror

You may open two copies, of course.
          Then work as root.

Ah, that did it. Thx.

Comment

Working...