This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.kde4 folder - safe to remove?

Need to know if it is safe to remove the hidden .kde4 directory. I'm running 8.10 w/KDE 4.2.00 after a successful upgrade from KDE 4.1.4.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: .kde4 folder - safe to remove?

Probably it's a "YES", but I'd say first rename it, and let it sit there a few days until you're sure nothing in KDE 4.2 is affected by the loss of it.

Comment

If you don't use Kontact and all the stuff that it entails such as kaddressbook, kalendar, akregator, kmail to name but a few you're ready to roll and rename as dibl suggested. Otherwise you should link/copy relevant files in ~/.kde4/share/apps/ and ~/.kde4/share/config.

And if you don't use kontact I'd be interested in your information management (if you don't mind me asking and getting WAY off topic). I use kmail, kalendar and its to-do notes, akregator for RSS and the marvellous kaddressbook as a matter of course. While I love them, I hate the way they are spread throughout the ~/.kde4 directory and wouldn't mind another way of dealing with things.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yeh it should be safe, plus if you use kde 4.1 and up it uses the .kde folder...
        but just in case back up

Comment

toad@

Yes, I use Kontact as my PIM. Actually, I only use the Address Book and KMail, but it's the 'suite' for such that is installed. So, Kontact is installed in the .kde4 folder structure?
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

YEAH! It is all over the place! Go into ~/.kde4/share/config and you will find kmailrc (has all your email settings!) and kaddressbookrc - these being the only ones you require. Copy those over to your new kde(4) directory!

Same goes for ~/.kde4/share/apps - this time you are dealing with folders. The kmail folder contains all your mails and kmail directory structure and kabc has your addresses in it.

FWIIW - I keep all those "vital statistics" in a different partition (called personal) and link the files to the relevant programmes - works a treat with korganizer also. I back up my personal partition across both my hard drives every 15 minutes. Call me paranoid and at times I really think it is more bother than it is worth.

Then again I always get windows customers who have lost all their data for some reason or another (of course they assure me that they have it all backed up - just not available right now) and who urgently require a copy of that email from 1993 - and I let them have it

Ah, it feels good...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I also use intrepid, and don't have a .kde4 folder...did you upgrade from 8.04? I remember having a .kde4 folder when I was using 8.04, but after a fresh install, I had only .kde.
              mm0
              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
              X