This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Address Book Now Solved

I've just made a clean install of 8.10 from a new CD and installed various other bits and pieces, as my installation was slow and prone to crashing. I saved the entire contents of Kontact and went to retrieve it to load it all back into the new installation. All the emails copied back but when I try to import the contents of Address Book all I get is an error message in large unfriendly letters saying "There is no resource available". I get the same message when I try to create a new entry from scratch.

I don't see how I can have failed to install a vital part so any clues?

Re: Problem with Address Book

i'm not an expert.
    i've moved my previous contacts simply by copying the file from the old .kde directory to the new one.
    this said...
    when you start "kontact" and hit "contacts", you should see the "address books" list, on the bottom left hand corner of the window.
    the default address book is called "resource".
    this is what the message you see might refer to.
    the default "resource" address book is in vCard format and stored in the ".kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf" file, in your home directory.
    can't say much more than this.
    sorry.
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I assume you are restoring a backup copy and that it's not simply a case of being unable to see the file, rather one of not being able to open it.

Did you burn it to DVD or CD? If so, I suspect a permissions problem. I have found that when you do a burn with K3b unless you check the "preserve file permissions" all files on the disk require root access. So, if that's the case change the permissions in the .vcf file and you should be able to access it then.

Comment

Thanks both. The permissions were fine so I manually copied the .vcf file over and it works perfectly now.

Comment

Working...
        X