This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3.0.5 (from repos) is crashing very often

For the last couple of... months I've noticed that FF tends to crash quite often, several times a day, it varies from 5 to 30 times a day. If it weren't because of the Session Manager add-on I'd be crazy by now.

Actually I'm experimenting this issue since I had FF 3.0.0... No matter how often I update FF it just keep crashing and I'm forced to relaunch it.

What's happening here? I wish I could say it might be because I have too many tabs open at the same time, but that's not always the case... It has crashed even if I only have about 3 or 4 of them...

Thanks for your help / patience.
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Firefox 3.0.5 (from repos) is crashing very often

I had similar problem after upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid. Google gave me a number of ancient bugs and no real answer. I checked one of proposed "magical"[1] solutions:
    1. Uninstall all add-ons
    2. Export your bookmarks
    2. Create a new FF user profile (from console)
    3. Import your bookmarks to the new profile
    4. Check if FF works with the new profile without a problem
    5. If it does - install your favorite add-ons and observe
    6. If everything works fine - delete your old profile.

[1] Magical - because nobody knows why it works

Comment

There's a known issue with FF profiles between (major) versions. Doesn't affect everyone but better to delete and start again.

My method (as a heavily FF dependent user): save current tabs as bookmarks in a "tmp<date>" folder (marked that way to remind me to delete again sometime...).

Save bookmarks.

Note down any plugins/addons that you actually use.

Delete profile.

Upgrade FF.

Restore bookmarks.

8)

FF3.05 crash? On occasion, maybe as much as once every couple of weeks. But then I have 70+ tabs open most of the time so is being pushed fairly hard.

Comment

This shouldn't happen, I just had my first FF crash in months but it was on a fresh XP install

The suggestion to make a brand new profile is correct, it does happen something untraceable is wrong in the existing one.
        Personally I'd just rename the .mozilla directory and start from scratch. Once happy you can one by one copy bits from the old set up to the new and find out where it goes wrong.

Comment

This is unbelievable... I actually removed my old profile and let FF create a new one. After I imported my bookmarks, I was organizing them when the unexpected happened... It crashed once again... I wasn't even connected to the internet and there were just 2 empty tabs opened on FF... Man, I don't know what to think about this...
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

I'm seeing FF just 'go away'; usually when I mouse on the slider. Restarting it at least allows me to pick up where I left off - but annoying. Haven't seen this until 3.05.

For what it's worth: running KDE 4.2 under 8.10, nvidia (beta) 180.22

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
              This is unbelievable... I actually removed my old profile and let FF create a new one. After I imported my bookmarks, I was organizing them when the unexpected happened... It crashed once again... I wasn't even connected to the internet and there were just 2 empty tabs opened on FF... Man, I don't know what to think about this...
              Maybe it's time for complete cleaning. Uninstall and purge FF and related packages (including plugins). Remove .mozilla folder. Install FF again and see what will happen.

Comment

Does not help. Already tried it.
                FF Crashes all the time - not using it for several days now.

There is real possibility to recreate it. I also uninstalled _all_ axtensions, deinstalled it etc. No go.

So - I do indeed see the same behavior with FF 3.0.5
                one of the old ones ...

Comment

There should be a real nasty bug somewhere in the FF code because I uninstalled it then for a weird reason I ended up installing the Ubuntu version of FF (not the Kubuntu one as I expected) and it was as unstable as the Kubuntu version... (I guess adding a few extra repos let me install such version in the first place.) I was mad at this 2 versions so I downloaded FF from the mozilla web site and run it. It still crashes a lot. Yesterday it crashes several times in a row, I couldn't even see a single backed up tab, not even once. Btw, the mozilla crash report system only appeared twice or thrice, but it crashed a lot more, maybe about 10 times... I don't know what to think now, I guess Opera should come back from its exile...
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

FF crashes quite often. I can substantiate that claim.

Comment

Working...
                    X