This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2 Power manager

I noticed that the default power manager in KDE 4.2 is powerdevil but Kubuntu doesn't use it. Should I uninstall kde-guidance-powermanager and install powerdevil? Is one better than the other?

Re: KDE 4.2 Power manager

Great question. Anyone?

Comment

I have uninstalled kde-guidance-powermanager, but can't install powerdevil...although, everything seems to work fine. not sure what I would be missing, but I have set up custom profiles, and tested them, and it all seems to work. I like the default KDE power manager much better. just make sure that you put the power widget somewhere (mine is on the panel), then you can click on it and select 'more' to get to the profile set up.
      mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

powerdevil is a part of KDE 4.2 (kde-workspace-bin and -data). If you install 4.2, you'll get powerdevil.

The configuration should be accessible through SystemSettings>Advanced as well as the plasmoid

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          powerdevil is a part of KDE 4.2 (kde-workspace-bin and -data). If you install 4.2, you'll get powerdevil.

The configuration should be accessible through SystemSettings>Advanced as well as the plasmoid
          It's ok to uninstall kde-guidance-powermanager then?

Comment

Originally posted by kevin79
            It's ok to uninstall kde-guidance-powermanager then?
            Yes...I don't think there even is a guidance-powermanager version for KDE 4.2.

Comment

Assuming you are running a laptop you may find kpowersave a good option to use in conjunction with powerdevil.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                Assuming you are running a laptop you may find kpowersave a good option to use in conjunction with powerdevil.
                What do I get by running both of them?

Comment

Again assuming a laptop....

Configure what happens when you close the lid, hit the power button, sleep button, auto-suspend when battery gets low, brightness, CPU policy etc etc etc all from right clicking the battery icon in the taskbar.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                    Again assuming a laptop....

Configure what happens when you close the lid, hit the power button, sleep button, auto-suspend when battery gets low, brightness, CPU policy etc etc etc all from right clicking the battery icon in the taskbar.
                    Ok thanks. So I don't really get any features that aren't available with only powerdevil then? Those are all configurable in System Settings, aren't they?

Comment

I'm not at my linux machine right now but would imagine that kpowersave accesses powerdevils functions although rather than going through system settings. Right-click suspend to disk is handy (for me anyway).

IIRC it's only a couple of hundred Kbs, so you lose nothing by installing it and taking a look.

Comment

Working...
                      X