This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> K3B protest about "System locale charset"

I'm running KB 8.10, fully updated. I use K3B to write off backups I create from time to time. I last ran it on 1/9/2009, with no difficulty. Tonight, I launched K3B and got an error message:

"System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
    Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has been done intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data projects.
    Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_* environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools take care of this."

I have no idea what this is about or whether or not I need to do something about this. I looked in the system settings (accessed from the "Kickoff Application Launcher") and couldn't find anything about the "system local charset" or anything related that I could think of.

I could use any help on this anyone might have to offer me.

Thanks.

Re: K3B protest about &quot;System locale charset&quot;

Hmm. Check K Menu > System Settings > Regional & Language > Country/Region & Language > Locale > Country or region:
    By default, it is not set to a country. Click on change... and select the country. While at it, ensure that you have selected your language as well.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'd already tried that. However, I returned, and this time specified US English as the language for the country already specified (USA). Made no difference. K3B is still giving that error msg.

Any other ideas

Comment

One could consider uninstalling k3b and then reinstalling it again.

Comment

I think this may be set in the k3brc file in ~/.kde/share/config. If you delete that file then start k3b it may fix the problem.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas, but...no go.

I reinstalled, removed that config file, rebooted, and...the problem's still there as before.

Hmmm.

Maybe it won't affect my uses of the problem. I'll test that - see if my backup copies are usable. My experience is that problems tend to disappear over time - the development guys get things working, sooner or later, and this complaint may not really amount to much.

Meanwhile, if you have any further ideas, I'm certainly interested. Thanks!

Tom

Comment

My .kde/share/config/k3brc file shows under [last used default data settings]
              input charset=iso8859-1

Easy enough to change. Edit the file and change your entry accordingly.

Comment

Well nuts.

I didn't find that parameter in the file, so I added it. It has no effect.

The protest is about a charset supposedly used for "encoding filenames". Doesn't sound too serious.

I still have yet to test the program with current setting. Long long working day today. Will do soon, after some sleep.

Thanks for your continuing attention. Very much appreciated.

t.

Comment

Read this 'old' bug report on your exact error - error when opening the K3b program: "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968". The report isn't very long.

Comment

Hooray! You came through for me again. Amazing.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+b...50/comments/13

I had the same experience - installed language-pack-en and the problem disappeared. I attached a comment about my experience - for what it's worth - to the page where that comment is found.

Thanks again!

t.

Comment

Re: &lt;SOLVED&gt; K3B protest about &quot;System locale charset&quot;

Happy to have (again) been of assistance.

Comment

Working...
                      X