This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade 8.10 to KDE 4.2

Wondering what is the best way to upgrade to KDE 4.2. I'm really keen to do it asap. But should I wait for the package maintainers and install it via the update when it is released?

I found this guide (http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2009...810-to-kde-42/) but I'm worried that if it doesn't go right I'll be stuck with a broken desktop.

Re: Upgrade 8.10 to KDE 4.2

I just did it. The konsole tools (sudo apt-get ) somehow failed in my case, but using the Adept Upgrade tool from the tray worked perfectly, and I'm writing from within KDE4.2. Looks very nice so far!

Just do as they say here: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2

Best,
    Bitnissen

Comment

Hello,

I just tried to upgrade to 4.2, but it failed. followed these instructions http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2, but I got weird display "events" at reboot, and when I access to desktop, and open any software or window, they are off the screen (the menu bar on top is in-accessible, so for ex., I can't close the window with the cross on upper top right corner). Also, I can't type anywhere with the keyboard, but strangely, I can type in the firefox...

How can I reverse to KDE 4.1?

thanks

Comment

Hi all,

I had just the same problems. I made a clean install of kubuntu 8.10 and right after I followed the instructions at their website to get kde 4.2 running, first through the command line with apt-get but I got nothing, then with adept but when It was done I just got a dead desktop.

First thing I did was to install xfce4-desktop (just to be able to use my laptop), then using synaptic I uninstalled the following packages: kdebase, kdebase-workspace and kdebase-runtime, I restarted the computer,installed them again and... puff!, kde 4.2 running clean... well, almost, widgets were not working.

Probably the process can be done just using the command line instead of synaptic.

Comment

vblanche, I had the same problem. After muching messy around and swearing I found the answer to be that the package kubuntu-desktop was missing.

Installed this using apt-get on a console, rebooted the machine and the world was better again..

Hope this helps.

spike...

Comment

Originally posted by the.spike

I found the answer to be that the package kubuntu-desktop was missing.
            That is actually a "meta-package" -- a "package of packages" constituting all of the "K" part of Kubuntu, but I can see how, if something that was required for KDE 4 didn't get downloaded in the upgrade for some reason, then kubuntu-desktop would pull it in.

FYI, if you happen to install Ubuntu, and later decide you'd like to take a look at the Kubuntu version of the distro, then all you have to do is install kubuntu-desktop. It works the other way too -- to see a Gnome desktop, you can, from Kubuntu, install ubuntu-desktop and then that becomes a login menu item.

Comment

That makes sense. Makes sense that meta packages exist. Is there a way you can tell a meta package from a normal package?

Cheers,

Comment

So... To those of you who have upgraded to 4.2... are you finding it to be significantly more stable?

I'm still running 8.04, as my experience with 8.10 was less than what I had grown to expect from this distro.

-SF

Comment

I like my Intrepid running KDE 4.2.00. KDE 4.2.00 is a lot more functional and stable that KDE 4.1 was. I still have 8.04 running KDE 3.5.10, which is rock solid stable. Recently, I've installed sidux.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I added thrid party software
                    Code:
                    deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu[/url] intrepid main
                    and tried to upgraded kde 4.1 to 4.2. My system froze while installing updates. I restarted the system, but when it tries to login with kde 4.1 it just returns to login screen

Comment

Originally posted by the.spike
                      vblanche, I had the same problem. After muching messy around and swearing I found the answer to be that the package kubuntu-desktop was missing.

Installed this using apt-get on a console, rebooted the machine and the world was better again..

Hope this helps.

spike...
                      this helped me .... like the whole desktop was erased and so it can't be used....that is crap >
                      but hey now i got 4.2 and can enjoy myself

Comment

I added the package signing key
                        Code:
                        gpg –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv-keys 493B3065 &&
                        Code:
                        gpg –export -a 493B3065 | sudo apt-key add -
                        Code:
                        sudo dpkg --configure -a
                        This complained:
                        kate
                        kdebase-workspace-libs4+5
                        ksysguard
                        libkdecorations4
                        kdebase-plasma
                        plasmoid-quickaccess
                        kdebase-workspace-bin
                        libwineffects1
                        I tried:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get kubuntu-desktop
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get kdebase
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get kdebase-workspace
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get kdebase-runtime
                        All a no go. apt-get did not recognize any of these requests.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFerret
                          So... To those of you who have upgraded to 4.2... are you finding it to be significantly more stable?
                          Oh yes. Actually the 4.2rc wasn't bad, for me. But 4.1, on Kubuntu 8.04, was a disaster -- it pushed me to install 8.10 when it was only Alpha 5, just to have something that wouldn't crash.

There is still an occasional bug or two in 4.2 -- nothing that causes crashes, just minor little things like the panel icons not aligning with my mouse cursor quite right, and stuff like that.

Comment

The fact the system complains about something plasma hints you didn't follow the rules by fully removing plasma before the upgrade.

About Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE4.2, it's a lot better and more complete than 4.1.

But Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3.5 is so much faster and rock solid.

KDE4.2 needs the plasmoids but they regularly crash, luckily they recover automatically but it just shows.
                            There are less unfinished bits in 4.2 than in 4.1, for example in Gwenview the KIPI plugins only partially work.
                            The plasmoid I like best is the one that enables the classical layout for the K-menu.

Comment

I forgot to mention -- there's a screenshot in the Image Gallery up above -- it show my Intrepid Ibex with KDE 4.2, running the new Amarok. It all works just fine -- I don't see anything crashing. But, I don't necessarily use every feature in the system -- others may have issues with thing I don't use.

Comment

Working...
                              X