This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Uninstall the Kubuntu power manager and use KDE 4.2

KDE 4.2 has a built in power manager, but the one that Kubuntu installs overrides it...any way to uninstall it and use the default KDE 4.2 one?
    mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Re: Uninstall the Kubuntu power manager and use KDE 4.2

Package managers give you the option. However that does depend on what is available in the repositories you look in.

I think though to answer your question if I follow your question...

when you access that powermanager in the kubuntu system settings you are actually using the KDE 4.2 control panel item just presented in the kubuntu system settings style rather than the old kcontrol style of KDE 3.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but nope...if you go to the system settings in KDE 4.2, and go to the advanced tab, and choose power management...this is the default KDE 4.2 power panel. But it doesn't matter what I set there, the Kubuntu power mangr overrides it.

I know about the package managers, but I am not 100% sure what packages to uninstall.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Ok if I had a guess I would remove the pm-utils, laptop-mode-tools, and guidance-power-management.
        If I were to try it though I would probably load kpowersave as a backup incase of issues.
        Not sure how much tinkering you want to do with your rc 4.2.
        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

OK, so in tinkering (before reading your response -- thanks!), I discovered if I quit guidance-power-management then the KDE power manager takes over...I can't uninstall it though, if I try, it tries to remove kubuntu-desktop! not good!

so...I just need to figure out how to keep guidance-power-management from loading on start-up...

mm0

P.S. the reason is the KDE version has more (way more) flexibility...

Comment

OK, I was able to do a
            Code:
            sudo apt-get remove guidance-power-management
            and it only removed guidance-power-management, don't know why synaptic said it would remove other stuff. then I added the power widget, and I am good to go...seems to be working great!

Thanks!
            mm0

Comment

Re: [Solved]Uninstall the Kubuntu power manager and use KDE 4.2

Cool I will have to check out the widget.
              Glad it worked for you.
              Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Got around to doing this...
                I see now what you meant.
                I was wondering how to get rid of the double notifications.
                The guidance notifications are in the old style and I am glad to be rid of them.
                Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Folks,

I still haven't switched to kde 4.2 (I will in a week when I upgrade to 9.04 :-) )

In the meantime, can you configure keyboard keys? I'd like to use the "Sleep" and "Wake" keys in the keyboard to go to (and come back from) sleep mode.

Otherwise, I have acpi working just dandy in my new computer running 8.10, but I can only go to supend from KPowersave menu, and wake from the power button. I couldn't find a way either in KPowersave or in the Control Center to configure the keboard for power management

Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Well, I did the upgrade and I couldn't find a way to configure the "wakeup" and "sleep" keyboard keys so far :-(

Comment

Try System Settings->Advanced-> Power Management->Edit Profiles and look under Actions.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                        Try System Settings->Advanced-> Power Management->Edit Profiles and look under Actions.
                        Thanks a lot for the tip mando_hacker! I actually forgot to mention, but I had tried that, however:

1st. There is no action for wake up

2nd. I configured the "Sleep Button" to suspend to ram, and this ain't happening. I think Kubuntu and my kb disagree on where the Sleep Button is. KDE 4 apps let you click on a key to bind it to some action, I am guessing maybe I should try what the OP of this this thread did: removing the Kubuntu Power Manager (assuming that't what I am using, I'll check tonight).

Comment

Now I uninstalled the guidance power management and I see the same power management setup, so I guess I am using the "default KDE-4" stuff.

To add insult to injury: if I suspend from KPowersave it works fine. If I suspend from the battery Plasmoid the computer fails to suspend and it seems to halt (pressing the power button to "wake" really starts a fresh boot up.

Comment

Working...
                          X