This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde 4.1 Slow

Is it me, or are you noticing that KDE 4.1 is very slow? Can I do anything to improve it?

pookito
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Re: kde 4.1 Slow

Do you have compiz running? --- I had to remove compiz and use kwin's desktop effects instead, and that improved a little on my speed.

I have noticed that my KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.2 RC1) takes quite long to start up the KDE desktop (after login), I have to wait for some minutes before the system settles, perhaps it is because of fancy desktop effects, I do not know.

Cheers,
    Isix
    Cheers,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Isix<br />______________________________________<br />&quot;Views and opinions expressed by me are not necessarily true --- they merely remain my views and opinions&quot;<br />______________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by Isix
      Do you have compiz running? --- I had to remove compiz and use kwin's desktop effects instead, and that improved a little on my speed.

I have noticed that my KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.2 RC1) takes quite long to start up the KDE desktop (after login), I have to wait for some minutes before the system settles, perhaps it is because of fancy desktop effects, I do not know.

Cheers,
      Isix
      4.2 is a lot faster then 4.1 on my machine.
      Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

4.1 on my machine was very slow(using kwin).....using compiz made it much slower(compiz benchmark 30fps)

4.2 on my machine takes a few to start up (using compiz) but over all i would say its working with in 30 seconds of loging in. and running much better then 4.1.(compiz benchmark 100+fps)

also it is important to note i replaced my 1.6ghz p4m with a 1.8ghz one (don't think its that big a diffrence for this)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Kubuntu Computer Geek
          Originally posted by Isix

Cheers,
          Isix
          4.2 is a lot faster then 4.1 on my machine.
          So, the question would be, how should I go about installing the 4.2 version of KDE?
          You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
          Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
          Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

if you search the forum you will find instructions , but honestly i would wait a day or two as the release version of kde4.2 is due out today and should be packaged for kubuntu 8.10 in a few days. at that point it should just come as a normal update..

Comment

I have also noticed the kde-4 is major slow. A lot of this probably has to do with hardware -- this is a laptop, and hence does not have the video agility that a more sophisticated graphics card would bring. I found that you can get some speed improvement by disabling effects in Systemsettings>Desktop>DesktopEffects, but then, what's the point?
              Seemed like when I updated from kde-4.1 to kde-4.2-rc-whatever, it ran a little faster, but over the last week or so, some update slowed it back down again.
              Well, I like kde-4, so will live with the speed. Good reason to start thinking about a new machine, though.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

and my laptop (look at my signature) is an older one and still runs kde4.2rc at or around the speed it ran kubuntu 8.04 w/ kde3.5. the weirdest thing is now that my card is working correctly, using the nvidia-glx-96 driver and a slight bit of xorg.conf tweaking. compiz is running around 130fps(idle) and 60ish(snowing on desktop) both of those speeds are faster then it ever ran w/ kde3.5, this is weird because according to the 8.10 release notes and other times installing kubuntu 8.10 my card should be running very poorly w/ the driver i am using.

Comment

Working...
                X