Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eBooks on an iPod Classic through Amarok (SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBooks on an iPod Classic through Amarok (SOLVED)

I have an eBook that I own on a CD. It is in mp3 format. I want to put it on an iPod so I can listen to it while travelling. I used Dolphin to copy all the files off the CD to my Kubuntu 8.10 system. I then followed a script using mp3wrap, mplayer, and faac that I found on the Internet. I just cut and pasted the commands and plugged in my own title, author, etc. information as directed. The .m4b file was created, apparently, cleanly. I put it into a playlist called "books" in Amarok and then queued it to load onto my 120Gb iPod Classic. That appeared to go well also. When I listen to it on the iPod it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks are reading it. I change audiobook settings to slow speed and it sounds like Alvin et. al. with slightly deeper voices. Here are the actual commands in the script (it's executed in the directory with all the mp3 files in it).

mp3wrap book_name *.mp3
    mplayer -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:nowaveheader:fast:file=book_name.pcm \
    book_name_MP3WRAP.mp3
    faac -R 44100 -B 16 -C 2 -X -w -q 80 --artist "author" --album "title" \
    --title "title" --track "1" --genre "Spoken Word" --year "year" \
    -o book_name.m4b book_name.pcm

Is it possible that the :fast option in mplayer is the issue? I tried to find some documentation on this and wasn't very successful. I'm going to try it again without the fast while I wait, hopefully, for an answer. TIA

---------------------------------

Removing :fast did not work so I'm into debugging. The output from the mp3wrap process plays perfectly in Amarok. The output from the mplayer process also plays perfectly in Amarok. The faac process introduces Alvin et. al. So I'm trying to learn how faac works. Being very ignorant of all things audio is slowing the process a lot.

----------------------------------

In the faac call the -R 44100 is not correct. It must be -R 22050 and it works perfectly.
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.
Working...
X