X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

libpcre3 can it go?

Hi.

After many months of contented computing I am now on my third question in only two days. However this one is potentially critical I suspect.

I am using Synaptic and in the sections tab I have under 'Installed (local or obsolete)' the package libpcre3.

This means not a lot to me so I thought I would get rid of it but . . . . it will take out another 349 packages too. Phew I'm glad I checked it first.

Any ideas as to why this package is in that particular section?

The only major software change I've made has been the the adding of the latest KDE version but it seemed to vanish so I got rid of the 'source' and here I am.

Any thoughts appreciated.

On another note I notice that Adept is probably going to go as its owner is getting out of the way of Kpackage. Even though I have always used Synaptic one has to say 'thanks' I feel.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: libpcre3 can it go?

I can't answer why the package is being marked obsolete (maybe it isn't...maybe it's marked as 'local'), but I did look up what it is. Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expression Library. Sound pretty important to me, and I guess it makes sense that over 300 packages depend on it.

Comment

Re: libpcre3 can it go?

Mmmmm -

Still I do wonder why it is there?

Thanks
      Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
      GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
      Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
      X