This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Kleansweep and ISOs

Hi I'm wondering about whether to do a reinstall (including possibly creating a new home). For example a new kdebluetooth was made available last night but it doesn't work properly and I'm wondering whether stuff left on the system from previous attempts to make it work are causing conflicts. I'm sure there are others. For this reason I am running kleansweep and so far it has found over 22000 entries that it considers redundant taking up nearly 900 mb - it's not even finished yet so I can't yet see what it proposes to take out. Does anyone have any experience of how reliable this package is? It would be nice if I can avoid the hassle of restarting from scratch if possible.

If a reinstall is the way if I were to download a new ISO (my existing 8.10 disk is from October 2008) can anyone say at what date the package snapshot is likely to be?

Thanks

Re: Question about Kleansweep and ISOs

Hi yah.

I'm not an experienced 'poster' like you but I would think a reinstall must be the best option for all the obvious reasons.

The one time I used Kleansweep it gave me an all too inclusive list of files. Many of them were empty but they could/should not be deleted.

You seem to have rather a heap (which needs checking out) and unless you have nothing better to do for three or four months I think you should take the easy clean install option.

Cheers
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Hi, thanks.

I cancelled the kleansweep run when it reached 40000 files and over 1 Gb in size! Figuring that things could never be that bad and that I was being led down a pretty dodgy path (particularly on duplicate files (where you have to do it one by one otherwise you delete the originals too ) I elected to reinstall.

To bring this to a conclusion, I downloaded the ISO from the kubuntu download link and I must say I was surprised at how out of date it was. I suspect I would have done just as well installing the disk I already had, which was the intrepid beta, and updating that, rather than downloading a new ISO.

Interesting exercise though.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        ... I downloaded the ISO from the kubuntu download link and I must say I was surprised at how out of date it was.
        And you didn't install it via Adept Manager and/or Synaptic? Kleansweep is listed in both.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, what I'm saying is that I installed kleansweep, but when it said I had to clean out 40000 packages, I thought I was in severe danger of breaking something, so I reinstalled instead.

Comment

Reinstalled II 8.10. I would actually use what was down loaded over the Beta. Then after installing, going directly over to 4.1.4 before installing anything else.

Comment

Working...
            X