Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaunty Jackalope plasmoids with the Intrepid Ibex (KDE4.2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaunty Jackalope plasmoids with the Intrepid Ibex (KDE4.2)

The KDE 4.2 has lot of plasmoids as default and more plasmoid binaries can be found from the Jaunty repositories and the PPA repositories. At the moment the plasmoid binaries from the Jaunty are working with the Intrepid:

Check first the official repositories !

Testing

Downloading from the > Ubuntu Packages >> Search: Keywordlasmoid - Distribution:jaunty:

plasmoid-cpuload (plasmoid-cpuload_0.3-0ubuntu3_i386.deb)
    Plasmoid that displays CPU Load

plasmoid-spellcheck (plasmoid-spellcheck_0.4-0ubuntu3_i386.deb)
    Simple plasmoid for fast spell checking

Update

Package naming > Topic: Plasmoids are now...

So now > Packages that names contain plasma-widget in suite(s) jaunty,

Downloading from the > PPA >> Search: plasmoid

plasmoid-adjustableclock (plasmoid-adjustableclock_0.9~jaunty~ppa2_i386.deb)
    a plasmoid to show date and time in adjustable format

plasmoid-cashew-off (plasmoid-cashew-off_0.1~jaunty~ppa2_i386.deb)
    a plasmoid to hide cashew

All four plasmoids were working with the Intrepid. They may or may not work in the future when the Jaunty will get new packages:

at the moment:
    Code:
    gcc --version
    tells with the Intrepid:
    gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu11) 4.3.2
    and with the Jaunty:
    gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-2ubuntu12) 4.3.3 20090117 (prerelease)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Re: Jaunty Jackalope plasmoids with the Intrepid Ibex (KDE4.2)

Thanks! I like the updates on things Kubuntu. Keep it up Rog as your time permits. Much Appreciated!

Comment

I can attest to "Stock Quotes", "Cashew Off", and "Weather" all working. I have missed these plasmoids the most since <ahem> upgrading to KDE 4.2.

Thanks for your work Rog!!!!!
      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

So if I'm running 4.2 rc, would I just change my universe repository, for example, to jaunty, then install the plasmoids, then change jaunty back to intrepid?

Comment

I don't believe that is what Rog131 is saying. His first link, and his statement, indicates that he is downloading the specific .deb files directly to his desktop and (I believe) installing from the downloaded .deb files.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is weird... I thought KDE 4.2 included plasmoid-previewer but it doesn't... Well, I know I'm using now Intrepid with KDE 4.2, but the curious thing is that plasmoid-previewer and I guess it's plasmoid-weather would only run if I have installed libplasma2 (that was replaced with libplasma3 after installing / upgrading to KDE 4.2)...

Where can I find plasmoid-previewer because it's quite eye-candy... I even added kubuntu-members repo and couldn't find it there.
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Previewer is available in 8.10 KDE 4.2.00. I just checked with Add Widgets... > Previewer

Comment

Nope, couldn't find it there... It's weird... Is there an alternate download repo / site where I can get it from?

Here's the konsole output...

Code:
                sudo apt-get install plasmoid-previewer
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
                the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
                that package should be filed.
                The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                 plasmoid-previewer: Depends: libplasma2 but it is not going to be installed
                E: Broken packages
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

You sig line shows you are still running KDE 4.1.4. Is this correct?

Comment

No, not anymore, I should update my sig but I mentioned it earlier...

Yeap, here it is...

Originally posted by kyonides
                    This is weird... I thought KDE 4.2 included plasmoid-previewer but it doesn't... Well, I know I'm using now Intrepid with KDE 4.2, but the curious thing is that plasmoid-previewer and I guess it's plasmoid-weather would only run if I have installed libplasma2 (that was replaced with libplasma3 after installing / upgrading to KDE 4.2)...

Where can I find plasmoid-previewer because it's quite eye-candy... I even added kubuntu-members repo and couldn't find it there.
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

So, did you follow the instructions for upgrading to KDE 4.2 here?

Comment

Yes, I did and that's why I find it weird the installation never included plasmoid-previewer and plasmoid-weather(-extragear) in the available plasmoids list...
                        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

About the weather report, it doesnt seem to work for me.

Comment

Yes, I did and that's why I find it weird the installation never included plasmoid-previewer and plasmoid-weather(-extragear) in the available plasmoids list...
                            plasmoid-previewer

Is part of the package: kdeplasma-addons and package: kdeplasma-addons-data.

kdeplasma-addons
                            plasmoids for KDE 4 Plasma - main package

KDE Plasmoids module is a collection of additional Plasma data engines and widgets (applets). It is part of the official KDE 4 distribution.

This package contains Plasma data engines and widgets (applets). Install this package if you want to use plasmoids from the KDE Plasmoids module.
                            kdeplasma-addons-data
                            plasmoids for KDE 4 Plasma - data files

KDE Plasmoids module is a collection of additional Plasma data engines and widgets (applets). It is part of the official KDE 4 distribution.

This package contains the architecture-independent data files needed by kdeplasma-addons.

You will need both packages. kdeplasma-addons has the engine part and the kdeplasma-addons-data has the info part (.desktop files - is what the "Add Widgets" will show.)

Sometimes, after installation you will (here , with the KDE 4.2, i need to) need to either:

a) log out and log in
                            b) or restart the plasma desktop with the konsole kommands (this is from > Development/Tutorials/Plasma/GettingStarted
                            Otherwise you can restart plasma, so the Applet will be displayed in the Applet Browser:

kbuildsycoca4
                            kquitapp plasma
                            plasma

plasmoid-weather(-extragear)

This plasmoid is part of the KDE trunk, it will be part of the KDE 4.3 or maybe it will be published with the KDE 4.2.1. If you wan't to use it now:

a) download the sources and compile it
                            b) use the PPA repositories for the binaries (.deb).

More of the weather plasmoids > Topic: Weather in taskbar for KDE 4?
                            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

In my case I couldn't get the plasmoid I mentioned before because I had to uninstall the previous version of kdeplasma-addons(-data) and never checked out if I ever reinstalled... Thanks for pointing me into the right direction.
                              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Working...
                              X