This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems after update

I am running 8.10 64bit. I updated last night, it was a long update. It seems to have messed with my plasmoids a bit. The note pad on desktop is not yellow anymore, and I can't type in it. I also lost my folder button by the "K" menu.

Anyone else have any problems like this? Also, any ideas how to go about fixing it?

Thanks.

Re: Problems after update

I'm going to run updates tonight (~8 hours from now) on my Kubuntu system -- I'll post back when it's done, and let you know about any problems.

Comment

I'm not on my Kubuntu system at the moment, but it sounds like you have upraded from KDE 4.1.x to KDE 4.2 RC1, as both the plasmoids you mention were for 4.1.x.

I think you will find there is a replacement for the notes plasmoid but not for the document view.
      Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Originally posted by sjhstorm
        I'm not on my Kubuntu system at the moment, but it sounds like you have upraded from KDE 4.1.x to KDE 4.2 RC1, as both the plasmoids you mention were for 4.1.x.

I think you will find there is a replacement for the notes plasmoid but not for the document view.
        I upgraded to 4.2 rc1 and still have document view, but i deleted the notes plaoid as i dont use it so i dont know about that. What version of KDE are you running 4.1.4 or 4.2 rc1?
        Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

I was running the 4.2 beta and when I updated to the RC version, I too ran into major problems with one plasmoid in particular.

I run a weather plasmoid called yaWP and it was all borked up when I logged back in. Then I tried to exit the plasmoid but clicking on the X or choosing close from the right click menu would only bring up the settings menu instead. I had to manually remove the thing to be able to get rid of it. On a side note, it would be nice for the KDE team to make an easy method to removing plasmoids after they are installed instead of hacking the file system looking for bins, but that is no issue with the Kubuntu team .

When I tried to recompile the source, I ran into other issues, but that might be because of the newer libs. No big deal for me as I can do without the weather plasmoid, but I can see where others might have issues with their setup.

Just chiming in to let others know that there was problems with this update for one reason or another and maybe to wait a week or so before updating till all the bugs are worked out.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Kubuntu Computer Geek
            Originally posted by sjhstorm

I upgraded to 4.2 rc1 and still have document view, but i deleted the notes plaoid as i dont use it so i dont know about that. What version of KDE are you running 4.1.4 or 4.2 rc1?
            As my signature shows I am using 4.2 RC1, the plasmoid on the task bar that I believe gutty96 is refering to, was called quick access, if I remember correctly this showed and gave access to all the folders in your home directory.

It now seems a long time ago when I last used Kde 4.1.x (kde 4 is moving quickly), I have been using 4.2 first with neon then from kubuntu experimental ppa from the first beta. I have not seen this plasmoid in any of the 4.2 versions thus far.
            Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

OK, just finished running updates -- it says I'm running KDE 4.1.96, AKA 4.2 RC1. I see no evidence of problems, so far. I ran it with apt-get from a console, and when I started the X server it gave me the nice greeter splash and the chime. I have a "Desktop Folder" folder view widget on my screen, and it looks fine. I dumped that little "sticky note" widget some time ago, so I have no idea what it looks like now. My panel looks fine -- all my package launch icons are intact there, VMware Player runs fine, Firefox works -- color me happy!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have not had a chance to look into it yet. Too busy with work and all.

Thanks again though,.

Comment

Okay, so on further inspection (finally, long week at work) it is not the folder view that is gone, it is the "show desktop", and the sticky note. They are still listed in the widgets, but they will not add to the desktop, or the bar.

Any ideas?

Comment

How are you trying to add them - click to Add Widget, or drag and drop?
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by gutty96
                      Okay, so on further inspection (finally, long week at work) it is not the folder view that is gone, it is the "show desktop", and the sticky note. They are still listed in the widgets, but they will not add to the desktop, or the bar.

Any ideas?

Yes I have the same issue with add desktop I plan on sending a bug report about it now

Comment

This is actually a packing error in the Kubuntu Experimental repo a fix is explained my clicking the link in my sig.

Comment

I had trouble with this (among other things) when upgrading to kde-4.2. A number of the widgets that ran in KDE-4.1 use a library called "libplasma2", and the new kde uses libplasma3; the two cannot coexist, and any attempt to install libplasma2 will remove kde-4.2 altogether. Most, but not all, of the missing widgets have been added in the package noted in the link in the previous post.
                          Also, FYI, be careful what you add to kde. I added one of the addon packages, and didn't pay attention to what Synaptic said it was going to remove. Installing the wireless network app removed network manager. The only way I could get kubuntu back was to load network manager from an old debian dvd I had lying around. So be careful.
                          Bottom line: the update process just isn't all that smooth for all installations.
                          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
                          X