This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't report bugs?

I've been using the KDE 4.2 beta/RC packages from the experimental ppa, and I noticed that there is a note in the announcement that we probably shouldn't report bugs other than packaging issues on these packages.

I notice a lot of bugs or missing features in these packages, and so I'm wondering: in the interest of making KDE 4.2 a better release, shouldn't we report these? Or does the announcement just mean we shouldn't report launchpad (Ubuntu) bugs on these, and that reporting upstream is appropriate?

I just want to do what helps the developers most. Any suggestions?
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Re: Don't report bugs?

Probably they just mean they'd like to pull the trigger on the new release, and THEN hear from you if you find a bug. I don't think they intend to debug the RC -- they'd rather put their efforts on the released code, and then debug that.

Kinda guessing here, but that's normally the way software development goes.

Comment

I guess that doesn't make sense to me. What are they going to do between now and release, if not fix bugs? Otherwise what's the point of having an RC? Just release it.

I can understand they don't want to add features at this point, but actual bugs is another matter.
      Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Me personally would report bugs to ubuntu rather KDE.
        Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

The KDE people definitely do want to hear about bugs. Please report any you find. It is the Kubuntu folks who are saying to not make bug reports about packaging issues, instead drop into irc and let them know there:

There probably will at least a few bugs with this release and it is recommended that you do not file bug reports against the packages in this release. If you come across any issue which may be packaging related, it is recommended that you join the Kubuntu IRC channel (#kubuntu on irc.freenode.net) and query those in the channel for assistance.

Comment

Working...
          X