This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to get KDE 3.5 on Intrepid?

Tired of the constant crashes and general overall crappiness.
    I really want to stay with the current version, but I just can't take this anymore.
    Help!

Re: Any way to get KDE 3.5 on Intrepid?

Originally posted by Pickaname
    Tired of the constant crashes and general overall crappiness.
    I really want to stay with the current version, but I just can't take this anymore.
    Help!
    No, is the simple answer.

Comment

Ibex KDE 3.5 repo, see:

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net

Comment

Originally posted by gdoutch
        Ibex KDE 3.5 repo, see:

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net
        No is still the simple answer, although the real question is why would you want to bother. KDE 4.2 is destined to be ultra stable and will be out at the end of this month.

Comment

If I felt strongly that I wanted KDE 3.5, I would install Kubuntu 8.04 (not the "remix) and then update it, and you should have a solid, reliable KDE 3.5 desktop. Just don't click the "new version available" button on Adept Manager!

Comment

I know this request seems a little, well, backwards. I have just been so accustomed to stable releases of Kubuntu (at least for me, anyway) of Hard, Gutsy, etc... Intrepid has just been a bugfest so far, primarily because of KDE 4. I have always liked KDE because it was simple and just worked. All of this fluff in 4 may be wunderfull for someone with terabytes of memory on a video card -- i just don't need that. I have been so disappointed with the direction of KDE I have been looking seriously at going to Gnome with Ubuntu,
            Gnome is *way* too close to a Mac interface and that makes me want to claw my eyes out.
            The point being, i *liked* KDE 3 - it worked and it looked ok and it most importantly worked with the cheapo crap hardware I can afford. I guess I have been spoiled by the stability of the releases so far - this just seems like a huge step backwards. Shame on me I guess.

I found this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963695

I suppose that doesn't work and it's back to 8.04 until I can find some other solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickaname
              All of this fluff in 4 may be wunderfull for someone with terabytes of memory on a video card -- i just don't need that.
              In my experience, KDE4 with the desktop effects turned off (available through systemsettings) isn't any more demanding on the graphics card than KDE3 is/was.

KDE4 does use more memory than KDE3, this is likely due to:
              1. New technologies/services added (plasma,nepomuk,strigi,akonadi...some of which can be turned off in systemsettings>advanced if you don't need/want them)
              2. Lack of code optimization on new software
              3. Possible memory leak bugs

That said, KDE4 seems to put the memory to good use. On my aging laptop, in KDE4 applications seem to start faster than they used to on KDE3.

At least from KDE4.2->, you can run a very KDE3-like KDE4 desktop if you wish.

It's been said before, but IMO:
              KDE4.0 = developer release
              KDE4.1 = suitable for early adopters/testers
              KDE4.2 = should be suitable for most users
              KDE4.3 = likely suitable for even the most conservative users

Comment

but why install kde3 on intrepid, as dibl said i would just use hardy if i wanted kde3, oh wait i did. Although i have to say, i set up my friends laptop w/ intrepid using kde 4.2beta 2 and its already much more stable and friendly then 4.1 was ever for me(thats a lot for a beta). needless to say my friend was very happy. and if for some reason i have to format my laptop, my main kubuntu machine i would put intrepid and kde 4.2 to replace kde 3.5 on hardy, unless the nvidia driver still has issues w/ my old gfx card (there were mostly fixed about 1mo after intrepid came out)
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48

i set up my friends laptop w/ intrepid using kde 4.2beta 2 and its already much more stable and friendly then 4.1 was ever for me(thats a lot for a beta).
                  My experience is the same -- 8.04 + KDE 4.0 was a disaster -- I could never predict what would break, or when. On faith and a prayer, I installed 8.10 Beta, and KDE 4.1 + updates, and there have been surprisingly few problems, and nothing that threatens my productivity. If you read the 8.10 release notes, it's obvious that certain (older) hardware is going to have some limitations -- but that's life as usual, with new software.

Comment

Working...
                  X