Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] How to stop pidgin from autostarting?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] How to stop pidgin from autostarting?

Pidgin insists on starting every time I reboot, and I cannot find how to stop this. It is not listed in the SystemSettings>Advanced>Autostart menu, nor is it present in home/.kde/share/autostart, nor is it in home/.kde/Autostart. Where has it buried itself?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: How to stop pidgin from autostarting?

All I can say Doc is, "me too" and I'll be waiting with bated breath to get an answer to this irritation. I guess that actually, I don't mind the auto-starting as much as that it insists on popping up the buddy list during start-up even though I have it set not to.
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Doesn't it have a "start me on boot" option in the settings?

Or maybe it's running very sneaky in the background and coming back because you enabled the startup option to restore your kde-session? If you exit pidgin, is it gone from the process list?
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

No, there appear to be no options from within pidgin that control when it starts up.
        I do seem to have solved it, though, and I think the problem may be that if it is running when you shut down the system, it will restart itself as part of the "resume session" process, if that's what you have checked in the login manager. Make sure that you have it shut down before you shut off the system, and see if that helps. I removed and reinstalled, but I think making sure it is dead before shutting down is what did it. Sometimes it's hard to see that it's running, as it's system tray icon is not all that noticeable. You also have to be sure that you kill the pidgin in the gutter -- ahh, system tray -- as it will keep running in the background if you just close the buddy list. HTH.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
        X