This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32-bit software on 64-bit system

I'm running the latest 8.10 Kubuntu. Wondering what files I need to install in order to run both 32-bit and 64-bit on same system. Right now the 64-bit stuff works fine. But I want to run some 32-bit programs. Any suggestions.

On another note. I had to remove 'Firefox 3.05' today because of an error message that couldn't be resolved. Went to Mozilla's site and the error had been replicated by someone else but no real solution to the problem could be found or answered. So I removed it altogether and install Opera and SeaMonkey in it's place. Funny how it was running fine one moment and then just crashed and wouldn't recognize my 'home web page site' kept taking me to mozilla's site. Any one else with a similar experience.?

Any help is appreciated on the 32-bit above.

Richard

Re: 32-bit software on 64-bit system

What 32-bit programs?

All packages in the standard repos are compiled for 64-bit.

Sometimes dpkg --force-architecture -i is sufficient to install a .deb package -- works for OpenOffice 3, for example.

Comment

I want to get Bibblepro, Sky Charts (Cartes dul Ciel), and LightZone to work on my system. They work great on a 32-bit system.

Rich

Comment

Don't know if you are still looking into this but I think (as I haven't tried this myself) that you can install 32-bit libraries which enable 32-bit apps to run on a 64-bit system:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/ia32-libs
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
        X