X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colors for kde3 apps

Hello, new kubuntu user here

One of the things that bothered me right after install is that kde3 apps do not care much for changes to kde4 color scheme.

Running this after color scheme has been changed will make kde3 apps look bit better.

Code:
    kwriteconfig --group General --key alternateBackground `kreadconfig --group Colors:Window --key BackgroundAlternate`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key background `kreadconfig --group Colors:Window --key BackgroundNormal`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key foreground `kreadconfig --group Colors:Window --key ForegroundNormal`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key linkColor `kreadconfig --group Colors:Window --key ForegroundLink`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key visitedLinkColor `kreadconfig --group Colors:Window --key ForegroundVisited`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key windowBackground `kreadconfig --group Colors:View --key BackgroundNormal`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key windowForeground `kreadconfig --group Colors:View --key ForegroundNormal`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key buttonBackground `kreadconfig --group Colors:Button --key BackgroundNormal`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key buttonForeground `kreadconfig --group Colors:Button --key ForegroundNormal`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key selectBackground `kreadconfig --group Colors:Selection --key BackgroundNormal`
    kwriteconfig --group General --key selectForeground `kreadconfig --group Colors:Selection --key ForegroundNormal`

Re: Colors for kde3 apps

this (at a glance) looks a lot like a solution to my problem. I need some more clarification however.

I am new user, and am running 4.2 - I have chosen to use Obsidian Coast as my color scheme. I am noticing applications like Rosegarden, Adept, & K3B do not match. (they still look as though they are using the default colors) I've begun to look into this and am wondering, are these applications KDE3 ? Will the above (if I adjust to match Obsidian Coast) be the solution? If so, is this just copy/paste terminal code, or do I need to place this in a config file?

Thanks .

Comment

KDE keeps color information in this file:
      /home/YourUsername/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

The first KDE 4 version I had did not have or did not update old entries in there which were used by kde 3 apps, so I edited the file and added entries manually to make my kde3 apps look consistent.

The code I posted simply calls kwriteconfig command to read kde4 entries and and adds/updates kde3 entries as required. The code should be run after color scheme changes.

NOTE: I am not sure if this has been fixed in recent versions of KDE4, it very well might have.

It does not hurt to backup kdeglobals file and run those lines (you could put them in file colorfix.sh and then run the file like this "sh colorfix.sh") and see if that changes anything. I am guessing changes should take effect after you restart kde3 app.

Comment

Ha! it worked! (not acting surprised out of lack of faith / to insult you. I'm excited at how simple it all was)

~Very impressed.

First day on the forums, received a swift response. Not only insightful, but proved to work on my first attempt. Thank you for explaining how to use your script. It performs like a charm.

Comment

Working...
        X