Mplayer movie player
    dragon player
    movie player
    etc

Re: .Avi Files??

Did you install medibuntu?

How To Add the Medibuntu Repository

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089281.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just did it it installed well, but still no luck with the .avi file(a movie that i download)

Comment

Um, do other .avi files work? Perhaps that one's just borked?
        KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Do you have any idea what the video actually is? AVI is just a container format; you can theoretically put pretty much any video and audio streams inside it. In other words, your computer is loading and running the .avi file perfectly fine, but it sounds like it doesn't have the right codec for decoding the video stream, whateverthehell it's encoded as. That's the main mystery here.

Most of the players you've listed actually run on the same backends, looks like most of them use Mplayer (actually, I think maybe all of them do....I'm still a bit iffy on KDE4 stuff since it crashes and bugs like hell on my main computer, so I only really dabble on my older machines unfortunately). I think you should try some entirely different players. Xine-UI is one which runs on libxine; VLC is the main one you should try though, since it uses an entirely different backend of its own and it quite comprehensive (although personally I hate the program, I love the backend these days, and for the sake of seeing if anything can play this file it's a good bet).

So yeah, I'd say use VLC. Even if it doesn't run the video either, right-click on the video, go into "Miscellaneous" and select "Media Info". Within that, in the tab "Advanced information", it should tell you what this .avi file actually contains.

What you're looking for is what video codec is being used. For example, I opened up a random episode of The Colbert Report I had lying around, and it starts out saying:

Code:
          Stream 0
            Codec: XVID
            Language:
            Type: Video
            Resolution: 512x384
          etc etc etc. That tells us already that the .avi file I have contains an XviD stream, and that's the video stream in the file. Do the same thing for your file, report back, and we should be able to help ya!

Comment

I resolved it the file was in fact corrupt!!

Comment

Working...
            X