Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSS installation killed ability to login to xserver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSS installation killed ability to login to xserver?

First off, I only think I'm putting this in the right section,
    I'm relatively new to Linux and recently installed Intrepid.
    Everything was working fine but I decided to install OSS v4.0.1016 and after tinkering for a bit I got it to install but now I can't login to my account.
    I think it has to do with xserver or something because I can do a console login just not into the desktop.
    Help?
    (BTW I've spent several hours looking for info online about other people having similar problems and have finally decided to ask for your help)

Re: OSS installation killed ability to login to xserver?

Possibly #10:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

You must not use your user directory for installing software. I use /tmp for that purpose, except if you need to save a download permanently, it's OK to save it in your user folder.

If you're willing to start over with your user settings, you can probably rename the hidden .kde folder and hidden .ICEauthority file and then reboot and get a clean default desktop. So, at a console prompt (at your user$ prompt):

Code:
    mv .kde .kde_bak
    Code:
    mv .ICEauthority .ICEauthority_bak
    Code:
    sudo shutdown now -r
    Good luck.

Comment

Re: OSS installation killed ability to login to xserver?

Thanks dibl. I think I did install it in my user directory, wish I'd have known not to do that earlier. I rooted around for awhile trying to undo/fix what I did and I think I just kept messing things more and more. I'm just going to do a fresh install and start from scratch. I've only had Kubuntu on my computer for a month and it's fun to mess around with all this stuff. How else am I going to learn? :P

Comment

Working...
      X