This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound partially works

I recently installed 8.10 on a new machine; it has an Asus M3A78-EM motherboard. I get sound when using Dragon Player to play flash movies, DVD movies, and mp3 files, so I know my hardware works, the snd_hda_intel driver is the correct one for my audio device -- ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller -- and that the driver is loading, and the mixer settings are fine.

But I don't get sound in Kaffeine, or Amarok. I don't know much about sound architecture, so not sure how to fix this so all apps that need to play sound can do so.

/dennis

Re: Sound partially works

Basically, make sure those apps are set up to output sound via ALSA. I know there's an option to change that in Amarok, though I've never really used Kaffeine so you're on your own there. SMPlayer > all. :3

As a sidenote, to test ALSA:
    Code:
    $ speaker-test -c2 -twav
    KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Re: Sound partially works

Originally posted by Zorael
      Basically, make sure those apps are set up to output sound via ALSA. I know there's an option to change that in Amarok....

As a sidenote, to test ALSA:
      Code:
      $ speaker-test -c2 -twav

Got it, thanks BIG! I'll hunt around in Kaffeine for a similar config setting.

The speaker-test is a handy little item; I've added it to my Linux cheat sheets.

Comment

Working...
      X