This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sluggish

Running on P4 1.8G/512M, I find the system very sluggish especially running Openoffice and Firefox, there is always missing keystroke and mouse click in OO, and slow pop up windows on firefox fireftp and few other things, this is not a big different than running on a Celecon 677.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Sluggish

If you are running KDE 4x then you may want to invest in a bit more RAM.

I have an older P4, 3GHz with 1GB RAM and it has its slow moments as well.

I tried ubuntu (Gnome instead of KDE) and it improved quite bit. Actually that machine has had Kubuntu and Ubuntu 8.10 installed, currently has Win XP and will be going back to Ubuntu this week. Of the three it seems to be the fastest and most reliable on that hardware.

My main box is a multicore processor with 6GB RAM... it never breaks a sweat so I run KDE on it.

IMO KDE 4.1 needs more breathing room than other desktop platforms. I would recommend at least 1GB of RAM for KDE 4x. The older processor may give you some hiccups too, but only running beefier applications.

Comment

I was having the same problems... CPU pegged at 100% almost all the time and I got a P4 2.80ghz with 512 RAM.
      I was able to improve things a bit by disabling Compiz and running Kwin instead + disabling any and all desktop animation and effects.
      512mb of RAM just isn't enough to run KDE4.x like the previous poster pointed out. I tried Xubuntu Live CD on this same machine and it ran much better.
      I got 2gb of RAM coming in next Monday, so hopefully that will make things run smoothly.

Comment

i have a p4m @ 1.6 ghz (1.2 on battery power) w/ 1gb of DDR ram.
        on it i have running kubuntu 8.04 w/ both kde3.5 and kde 4.2 (kde-nightly)
        on my machine i only get slowness from scrolling to fast. and i would have to say its prolly my geforce4 go that is causing the redraw problem.

the best thing that you can do is add some ram. the more the merrier.

if you can't add ram try a gui with less overhead such as Gnome or Xfce.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Or if you really want to go basic, fluxbox...

Comment

Working...
          X