This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE3 and KDE4 Apps Co-Existing and KHelpCenter Problems

It has been an annoyance of mine that khelpcenter is indeed installed and the doc packages for certain programs that I use, that are not ported to KDE4 yet, and yet pressing 'F1' or selecting Help from the 'Help' menu from these KDE3 apps complains that the khelpcenter service is not found.

I have looked around the net for a solution for this issue for the past couple of weeks and read through numerous conf files on my system looking for where I might be able to fix this problem. Alas, I have not found a single solution. At least not one that deals with having the two versions of KDE apps co-existing on a system, which during this transitional period, is almost impossible to avoid.

While this may not be the proper forum for this next comment, it is important to mention that I have been a KDE user for 5+ years (if not more), so I have been waiting for KDE4 to be released since I heard it was in the pipes. Unfortunately, my opinion of the new 'improved' version is not palatable. There are many neat features that have been added, but the amount of features removed and the system resources the new features suck from the system far out-way the neat factor.

But, I digress. On to the problem, or rather the partial solution. To at least be able to view your help files you will have to manually link their directories into the KDE4 doc location that khelpcenter looks in for help files.

For KDE3, those directories are at:
    /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/<lang>/<app-name>

For KDE4, those directories are at:
    /usr/share/doc/kde4/HTML/<lang>/<app-name>

where <lang> is the language (duh...) and (you guessed it) <app-name> is the app name.

As root or your user, change to the KDE4 doc directory. Next run the following as a sudo command or as root.

If root:
    % ln -sfn ../../../kde/HTML/<lang>/<app-name> ./

If a normal user:
    % sudo ln -sfn ../../../kde/HTML/<lang>/<app-name> ./

Notes:

1. Obviously, make sure the <lang>'s match.
    2. There is a directory named 'common' in both the KDE3 and KDE4 doc areas. DO NOT LINK THESE. Not sure what will happen, but it looks like at the CSS and the images for some of the docs are different. Yes, I know... that means the KDE3 apps will have some of the wrong style sheets and images. First, I said this was a partial solution, second, at least you will be able to read them.
    3. To read the docs, have a konsole window open and use it to get to khelpcenter. Your docs will appear in there.

Hope this helps, and as soon as there is a better fix (like one that will get F1 to work in the KDE3 apps) please post the fix here so us KDE'ers can use it.

-GrafXMan
Working...
X