X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

Hello,
    After installing Intrepid, I went to KMenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and turn these on. Select Apply. The screen goes to black and stays that way, even with reboot. Intel82945G Express Chipset. No icons, no menu, no nothing. How do I fix this?

Regards and Thanks,
    Max

Re: KMenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

Maybe this helps > Topic: Enabling Effects causes Black screen
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, no joy. I tried fix #2 because I have no /.kde4 files. This fix was supposed to regenerate the files. Still no files. When I log in, or attempt to, I am now getting a 'no resume image' and drops to command line.

Comment

Originally posted by max
        Hello,
        After installing Intrepid, I went to KMenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and turn these on. Select Apply. The screen goes to black and stays that way, even with reboot. Intel82945G Express Chipset. No icons, no menu, no nothing. How do I fix this?

Regards and Thanks,
        Max
        I have a box with an intel graphic card, and am having similar issues, There are not updated drivers for an intel card. One thing I did was boot to the recovery kernal and do a repair on the x system.
        At the grub menu press esc key. then select the last item on the recovery list.

Other than that that is how I got the desktop effects working. Remember to uncheck the vsync settings under the advanced tab for the desktop effects. That can help as well.

Intel cards suck for linux.

Noel Vh
        ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Re: KMenu&gt;Settings&gt;Advanced Desktop Effects Settings

max, fix #1 should work for you. Fix #2 is ye olde sledge hammer - in your case you'd have to substitute .kde4 with .kde (.kde4 was transitional).
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks to all who answered!. I've given up on this, as I have spent 2 full days on this. Good thing Im on vacation! Another good thing is that was a VM on a Sun VirtualBox. I have deleted it and started over. I will stay away from the Advanced Desktop Effects this time. Thanks again.

Comment

That may have been your problem from the start - you were running a VM of Intrepid. This means that when running Intrepid, you were using a 'virtual' video controller. As such, you don't have all the bells and whistles that your video card are actually capable of. This is also why high-end 3D gaming doesn't work well (if at all?) when run within a VM.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X