This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible pointer when using KRDC

I'm trying to connect to my Fathers Kubuntu machine to help him upgrade and install software.

I am able to connect to the machine and see the desktop. I also have full control over it, but the pointer icon is stuck in the top left of the screen. Using trial and error I can work out where the pointer icon should be but it's a pain in the neck and is taking way to long to sort stuff out.

The colours are a bit screwy too, but I'm not really bothered about that.

So I turn to people more knowledgeable than I in hope for the solutions.

1) Have any of you experienced the same "invisible" pointer before and if so how did you fix it?

2) (optional) is there a way to correct the colour issues I'm facing when connected to the other machine? Everything looks normal until I click the mouse or type into dialogue boxes, then the colours appear inverted.

Re: Invisible pointer when using KRDC

the color issue may have something to do with the settings... I only use KRDC to RDP to my work server (still strange using MS Office and Outlook remotely from a 'nix box). In the settings you can choose the color setting you want, 8 bit or 32 bit, etc. You might try messing with that a bit and see if it fixes the color issue.

My guess is that you are using VNC to connect to a Linux machine... don't know if the settings are similar in there but worth checking out.

As for the pointer I haven't run into that one before.

Comment

Sorry, I should have said I was using Krfb on Kubuntu 8.10 to access his machine. I think I'll give VNC or something a shot and see if I can get it to work a bit better.

Thanks for the speedy reply

edit: After a little more digging I went over to the Ubuntu forums to see if they had any answers. There were a couple of posts describing the same symptoms as me and blaming KDE 4.x so I dug up an old live CD of kubuntu 7.10.

I accessed 7.10 on a desktop from 8.10 on my laptop with no problems (save for a little lag). I then tried it the other way round and lo and behold, the screen was messed up, although the pointer was registering movement this time.

I guess KDE 4.1 isn't communicating with Krfb properly and throwing up errors.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=krfb
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=krfb

Comment

wacky...

I haven't tried VNC using KRDC yet but I have no trouble at all using it for RDP (to a Windows server).

I used to use rdesktop, but thought I'd give krdc a try and so far I like it.

Comment

I had the same problem with the krdc included in 8.04 but it does not happen at least for me with 8.10. There was an option in 8.04 to always display the cursor that fixed the problem, I think.

Fortunately, this is Linux. Krdc is not the only VNC client available that you could try. xvncviewer or gvncviewer come to my mind.

Comment

The option to always display the cursor is still there... but it is off by default.

Comment

Working...
            X