This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

empty System Settings panel

hi, just installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my Notebook and am instantly unhappy about it.

I need to configure a whole bunch of hardware settings, so I open up the system setting panel and what do I find? almost nothing. The only stuff that's listed has to do with the desktop appearance. there are no Hardware settings, no Network and Internet settings, no system administration settings, its all just missing. what's up with that?

I'm expecting it to look like this: http://www.kubuntu.org/docs/kquickguide/C/ch03s07.html

yet I only have a few categories, all to do with appearances. What kind of Systemsettings panel is that?

Re: empty System Settings panel

KDE 4.1.x isn't KDE 3.5.x. Supposedly, this will improve (a lot) when KDE 4.2 is released.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sounds like there was a problem with your install.
      in my system settings I have Look & Feel, Personal, Network & Connectivity, and Computer Administration... plus more stuff under the Advanced tab.
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

CVPunk -

In any open application window, click on Help > About KDE and let us know what version you have installed. I'm almost certain that you are running the KDE 4.2 beta.

Comment

yep, I'm using 4.2... but, I don't remember having problems when I was on 4.1.
          &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

The 'extra' options in System Settings (in KDE 4.1.3) that ships with II, aren't there. I'm running II w/KDE 4.1.3, and it's all up to date, and those useful 'extras' are not installed.

Comment

ugh, sounds like running the 4.2 beta would be better.

Comment

Well I tried out Kubuntu, and don't really like it, KDE ist not my GUI, gnome on the other hand seems simpler. So I think I'll rather switch to ubuntu. KDE 4 ist just not ready for me yet.

Comment

Working...
                X