Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like the Security of Linux but this is getting Unbelievable!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Security of Linux but this is getting Unbelievable!!!

Hi again:

A few days ago I posted about getting around the /root Privileges in Kubuntu Intrepid.

I was told about sudo su in terminal would allow me to Copy Files into my /usr/share/sound files, and /usr/share/wallpaper files.

Guess what didn't work...

Also was told about pressing Alt + F2 typing kdesudu dolphin, this here would allow me to have complete access to everything. You guessed it didn't work.... Again< >

Was also told about some links to earlier versions that others had edited files to allow GUI Login etc.
    But after the first two I didn't want to try altering files, For obvious reasons...

While I know these were things told to me by others who had these work for them and I'm glad they did.
    And am most grateful for them sharing them with me.
    This isn't my Gripe.

The following is: I had set up my Login/Usr picture which had been working, it was last night when I shut down my Laptop.

I went to Log On tonight and it wasn't by my /usr name, What I thought?
    Oh well easy enough to change back, or so I thought.

Went into System Settings/About me went to change it back and it tells me that my Admin had locked me out from Changing my Picture?
    But everywhere else like Terminal and Applications etc.
    Allows my Password? Any Ideas?

I don't mind Pass Words and putting them in extra times during stuff I'm doing.
    But when I'm the Only one on the PC and I'm the Admin this shouldn't have happoened!

SORRY for the rant, but I've been trying to get 8.10's KDE 4.1 running on this thing for over 2 weeks and I'm almost ready to pull what little is left of my hair out... :P

It makes me wonder if I shouldn't try out Gnome?
    But I so much prefer KDE, and I can't go back to 8.04 because it and my Graphics Card can't get past boot....
    I &quot;NEVER&quot; Discuss 3 things.<br />Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin.<br />Linus from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Re: I like the Security of Linux but this is getting Unbelievable!!!

I open a terminal and type "sudo dolphin" and haven't had any area I couldn't alter. Not sure about the other problem, but I usually activate the root account for desktop just in case. I've been using Freespire for a couple years and just moved over to Ubuntu and KDE4, but there should be instructions on here on activating that root account for desktop. Hope this helps, I know its only slightly different.

Talk about pulling your hair out - my wife and kids still run Windows. I loathe all the maintenance I have to run on them, the scans and adware removal... then I go back to my nice safe little LINUX box and laugh when one of those bogus websites come up and try and inject something into my system. Sometimes you gotta work at it, but I find that trade-off well worth it. :-)

Comment

Also was told about pressing Alt + F2 typing kdesudu dolphin, this here would allow me to have complete access to everything. You guessed it didn't work.... Again
      I use kdesudo konqueror and kdesudo kate / kwrite for root stuff. Hope that helps.

I can't help you with your usrpicture issue apart from saying: boot into recovery mode and choose root. Then type startx at the prompt.

Hope that helps
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

As a general advice, if you have problems, giving us the exact error messages and/or describing what happens when you do something, instead of 'it doesn't work' will help us help you.

Originally posted by Wenches_Master
        I was told about sudo su in terminal would allow me to Copy Files into my /usr/share/sound files, and /usr/share/wallpaper files.
        sudo su (although 'sudo -i' is preferable) should open a root terminal, did the prompt change to read 'root@your_machine name:directory#'?

If it did, you can copy or move files in that terminal using 'cp' and 'mv' commands, it won't help you copy or move files with a graphical tool.

If it didn't, can you provide the error message?

Also was told about pressing Alt + F2 typing kdesudu dolphin, this here would allow me to have complete access to everything. You guessed it didn't work.... Again
        Was that a typo, the command is 'kdesudo dolphin'. This should open a 'root' version of the file manager with which you can freely move or copy files.

If it didn't, can you describe what happened.

The following is: I had set up my Login/Usr picture which had been working, it was last night when I shut down my Laptop.
        You mean only the user picture doesn't show? You can login anyway?

As I recall, by default, only root can change the user picture (although I'm slightly baffled you were able to set the picture previously). Check System Settings>Advanced-tab>Login Manager>Users-tab>User Picture Source is set to 'User' or 'User, system'

Comment

If I remember correctly under Hardy, which I haven't used for a while, there was an option under Dolphin to open a directory as root - that worked well and was great for backup to external drives, especially encrypted external drives which require you mount as root to use the cryptsetup command.

I had the same problem using Alt F2 when using kdesudo konqueror OR kdesudu dolphin. Both did not work.
          This morning after reading this post I opened a normal terminal and typed kdesudo and BOTH konqueror and dolphin now work. Interesting. I'm puzzled but thankful that it works. Try a normal terminal.
          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Well, you keep making the typo "kdesudu" when it should be "kdesudo". So perhaps you typoed the first go round and this time you didn't?

In KDE 4.2 beta you can right click on a file in Dolphin and under "Actions" you can "Open as root". I'm not sure if that option is missing in 4.1 or not. It may be worth your time to upgrade to 4.2 beta. The new beta 2 is due out today from what I understand.

Comment

Working...
            X