This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does only classic menu work?

After upgrading to 4.2kde , only the classic style menu works for me. With the kickoff style, I get no response clicking on the menu icon.

I know I should expect bugs with a beta, just wondering if this is something anyone else has experienced, or if I'm possibly just missing something simple in my settings.

thanks
    K

Re: Why does only classic menu work?

Originally posted by kiisu
    After upgrading to 4.2kde , only the classic style menu works for me. With the kickoff style, I get no response clicking on the menu icon.
    It works for me, but I still can't get Lancelot to work with 4.2

Comment

I decided to upgrade from KDE 4.1 to 4.2 and I also have issues with the menu. In 4.1 the new menu woked fine, shen I went to 4.2 it still works sort of. The issue is it will not minimize. Other than that it works the same way as it did in 4.1. I am using the classic menu for now since the kickoff menu takes up to much monitor real estate.

D

Comment

At the moment I'm only able to use the kickoff style if I drag it off the menu and leave it as a plasma on the desktop. Not perfect and it's a shame as I really like the new style.

When I have it as a launcher on my panel, if I click on it I notice some twitching with the other icons (battery, wifi) on the panel so there is some kind of reaction going on, but I don't get the menu.

Suggestions anyone?

Comment

bump

Is there a way to reinstall the menu so I can see if this problem persists? So far it's the only real trouble I've come across in 4.2 (aside from the machine occasionally freezing when it goes to screensaver).

Comment

You can right click on the K menu and "Remove this applet" (or something close to that) and then right click on the desktop and "Add Widgets". From there you can drop a new K Menu back onto your panel.

Comment

hmm yeah, thanks for the suggestion Nate, behaviour is still the same. Strange little problem.

Alternatively, I was looking around for something else and came across the highly praised 'Lancelot' -mentioned above- but it doesn't want to install.

I tried

sudo apt-get install plasmoid-lancelot
              and got this back

Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
              or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
              the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
              that package should be filed.
              The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
              plasmoid-lancelot: Depends: libplasma2 but it is not going to be installed
              So .... I guess I just need to wait until one or the other is fixed for 4.2?

btw sorry if I'm sounding uneducated with some of this stuff; I've just returned back to Kubuntu after almost a year on Gnome

Comment

haha! success .... looks like I hadn't checked my widgets since the latest update a few days ago, and now Lancelot showed up in there/

I can see where the praise comes from .... great all-in-one menu!

Comment

lancelot has been moved to the 'kdeplasma-addons' package, 'plasmoid-lancelot' is the legacy package built against the old plasma library (that's why it won't install)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                    lancelot has been moved to the 'kdeplasma-addons' package, 'plasmoid-lancelot' is the legacy package built against the old plasma library (that's why it won't install)
                    Wow, thanks for that, I've asked the question several times as to why Lancelot won't run and nobody answered. I just installed kde-nightly-kdeplasma-addons and finally it works!!

Comment

It's running fine for me and I love the look+layout.
                      Only one odd, tiny little issue -> whenever I start up kubuntu, the lancelot icon is half-size. It stays this way until I right-click, edit the launcher settings ... doesn't matter if I actually change anything, I just do that and then close the settings right away and the icon doubles, to it's normal size.
                      ANyhow doesn't make any real difference to me, great little widget.

Comment

Originally posted by kiisu
                        It's running fine for me and I love the look+layout.
                        Only one odd, tiny little issue -> whenever I start up kubuntu, the lancelot icon is half-size. It stays this way until I right-click, edit the launcher settings ... doesn't matter if I actually change anything, I just do that and then close the settings right away and the icon doubles, to it's normal size.
                        ANyhow doesn't make any real difference to me, great little widget.
                        I have had it running for months on KDE 4.1 but it wouldn't work on 4.2 until now, I am not seeing your half size problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X