This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

openoffce crashes

did a fresh install of Intrepid OO2.41 was working, did an upgrade now all I get is
    recovery of document screen and OO3 does not work. What am I doing wrong?? I need OO for most of
    my work. Thanks

Re: openoffce crashes

I guess in lieu of using search, you could look at this and a couple of similar threads....
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100139.0
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Hi
      Delete the .openoffice.org folder in you home folder.

Dolphin show hidden files then delete it. Once you open it should recreate this folder.

I had this issue, and that how I fixed it.

Noel Vh
      ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Originally posted by noelvh
        Hi
        Delete the .openoffice.org folder in you home folder.

Dolphin show hidden files then delete it. Once you open it should recreate this folder.

I had this issue, and that how I fixed it.

Noel Vh
        Noel Vh forgive me for asking when I haven't tried your advice but I had a lot of hassle fixing the same 'recovery of document' crash until I saw other threads which suggested removing the openoffice.org.kde package which got OO3 working for me.

Now OO3 works but, putting it politely, it's plain fugly.

So what you are saying is this fix will allow me to have a working OO3 which isn't fugly? (again, fugly is working at the moment so I'm leaving it well alone as I need to print my Christmas card address labels and other important stuff.....priorities )
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

I just tried deleting the .openoffice.org folder and the recovery problem still persisted...unfortunately. Perhaps this will work for some...but I'm not one of them.

Comment

You need to remove the package openoffice.org-kde (as Marlon pointed out - a search would have done it).
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Ok I was wrong and I am sorry.
              You have to remove OO3, Install OO2.4 and start over.
              This link will show you how to remove OO3, then install the upgrade to OO3.

So run the commands to remove OO3, then reinstall OO2.4.
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
              Now that OO2.4 is installed run it to recreate the .openoffice.org folder in you home folder.

Now start at the beginning of the link to do the upgrade to OO3. Before you run OO3 you must remove any OO2.4 config files in your home folder.
              Code:
              ~/rm -rv .openoffic*
              Now when you start OO3 it will run as a first install of it by asking you some question, like you name and initials. If you get that you should be golden.

I hope I have not confused you with this, as I am not good at writing tech docs.

NoelVh
              ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Afaik only OOo3 installs via the launchpad repo need to remove openoffice.org-kde. If you have 2.4 or OOo3 from the debs you are okay.

noelvh - I don't think it is necessary to do all that. I had suffered from that symptom myself (on a launchpad install of OOo3) and getting rid of openoffice.org-kde did the trick (although it does look ugly now). What was your experience on what kind of install?
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well I had this issue on 2 machines.
                  1 I added the repo to install form apt, and nothing happened. I did find that the files were removed from the repo, at that time. So I installed the deb version, then removed the OO2.4. Now before I ran OO3 I left it alone for a few days. This I saw and up date to install, and blindly ran the updates. This is ware I say it installing the OO3 from repo.

Yikes!!!

The other machine was a true deb install.

I am sure you are right but I have no way of testing it so I did the hole thing. On the repo installed machine. On the deb installed machine, I just uninstalled OO3 using the commands from the link, then removed the .openoffice files. Reinstalled the deb and it worked.

Noel Vh

Comment

Right, thanks for that. Sort of confirms that the debs are clean. Sorry to hear about your troubles but glad you got it sorted

I can't wait for openoffice.org-kde to be okay again 'cos that gnome-like appearance is soooooooooooooo ugly :P Could of course install the debs, but...

Comment

Working...
                    X