This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sudo ./ not found...?[SOLVED]

I am trying to install this program called nuke. According to instructions I am just suppose to

sudo ./installer
    I navigate to the folder and issue the command and it says

sudo: ./Nuke5.0v2-6380-linux-x86-release-32-installer: command not found

Now in openSUSE 11 I just double click the guy and it works.... in Kubuntu Wine tries to open it. I dont know what to do.

ps. I also tried using the absolute path to the directory and that said the same thing.

Re: sudo ./ not found...?

Assuming you copied the installer file to a directory that is NOT in your /home/user folder, try this at the directory where you have it:
    Code:
    sudo sh ./Nuke5.0v2-6380-linux-x86-release-32-installer

Comment

Why can I not have the installer in a subfolder within my home dir?

ie.

/home/wren/downloads/nukestuff/

Comment

So I tried

and it said

./Nuke5.0v2-6380-linux-x86-release-32-installer: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

ps. I tried doing it within the containing folder inside my home dir and then I copied the files to a containing folder inside the opt folder and it said the same thing.

Comment

Just some thoughts:

Any executable programme has to be made just that - executable. You can either use dolphin/konqueror or chmod +x to do so.

With regard to ./ or sh I have had varying experiences. Sometimes one works, sometime the other.

So make sure it is executable and then try ./ first. If that does not work try sh.

HTH
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yep, toad is correct that the file needs to be made executable prior to running the shell command. So
            Code:
            sudo chmod +x Nuke5.0v2-6380-linux-x86-release-32-installer
            should be run first, then

Code:
            sorry, I didn't think of that before.

Originally posted by wrender

Why can I not have the installer in a subfolder within my home dir?
            Only the Super User, aka "root" is able to install software. During the installation process, new files are written here and there on the system, some temporarily and some permanently. I have had the unpleasant experience of having something changed in the hidden .kde folder during installation of software from my /home/dibl directory, and that will cause you to be locked out of the X server. So, you can keep your downloads wherever you want, including the folder that you made in your home folder, but I recommend you copy the download to /tmp/xyz for the installation process, so your user folder doesn't get banged up in the process.

./Nuke5.0v2-6380-linux-x86-release-32-installer: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
            This looks like a problem in the script itself -- i.e. a bug in the installer -- nothing to do with your Kubuntu system. In other words, the shell command has worked correctly, launched the script, and now it's got some problem with the way it executes. I don't know that package -- you'll have to research what it's trying to do.

Comment

If you run a 'script' with 'sh' command, it doesn't need to be set as executable. if you use './' (run from current working directory), you need to set the executable bit (chmod +x).

As dibl pointed out, this means the script starts to run, but exits due to a syntax error on line 4.
              Without seeing the script, it's hard to tell what exactly is the problem, but commonly it's a 'bashism' in the script that is not understood by the dash shell (dash is used as default 'sh' shell in kubuntu)... you can try:
              Code:
              sudo bash ./Nuke5.0v2-6380-linux-x86-release-32-installer
              2. or edit the script and change the first line that should be '#!/bin/sh' to '#!/bin/bash' and run with:
              Code:
              sudo ./Nuke5.0v2-6380-linux-x86-release-32-installer

Comment

Wow, I never knew that. Tested it out immediately and, shock horror, you are of course correct.

Thanks for the info.
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I never knew that either -- thanks kubicle!

Comment

Turns out sudo ./installer works.

The file is a compiled binary.

The problem was that even though the file IS an executable it did not have permissions TO execute. So once the permissions were changed it was all good.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Happy bunnies all round

Can I ask you the obligatory question to mark the thread as SOLVED please. Infos in my signature.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X