This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept getting the boot(?)

Did anyone else see this blog post about Adept and the next version of Kubuntu (9.04)?

http://blog.nixternal.com/2008.12.12...y-and-kubuntu/

Here's a relevant quote:

Package management wise, it seems there was a consensus on switching from Adept to KPackageKit. We do understand there is a lot of work that still needs to be completed with KPackageKit, and the Kubuntu ninjas will do their best to get it up to speed. If something was to happen, and we were unable to deliver on KPackageKit, then we have Adept to fall back to. My question I just thought of is this, “If we use Adept as a fallback, shouldn’t we still try to fix it as well?” Wouldn’t it make sense to continue working on Adept side-by-side with KPackageKit, just in case we do not finish KPackageKit in time? I think so.
    I'm not sure KPackageKit is going to be great, but it is interesting to read that the consensus among decision makers is that Adept is not good enough. I certainly agree.

Re: Adept getting the boot(?)

I have to agree with you about Adept. I am kinda sad because I know that its somebody's baby and that they have put many hours of work into it. BUT, it has gone from being simply awful, to pretty usable, and back again to awful. I hope it rests in peace (soon).
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Adept did show a lot of promise, but it hasn't IMO evolved to a full featured package manager fast enough. PackageKit may be the way for the future.

Just to show it's not impossible to create a good package manager for kde, I was rather rather impressed by shaman on arch linux, I thought it was better than synaptic (and very similar in usage).

Comment

More:

> Topic: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2
        >> Blueprints for Kubuntu
        >>> Kubuntu Jaunty Package Manager (blueprint)
        >>>> KubuntuJauntyPackageManager (specification)

> FAQ: Package Managers
        >> Packagekit with the Intrepid
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Now it's even more official. The maintainer of Adept is ceasing development.

http://web.mornfall.net/blog/farewell__44___adept.html

Comment

Working...
          X