X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KWin takes 100% CPU

I have just upgraded to Kubuntu 8.10.
    Unfortunately, on KDE the kwin process was taking the whole CPU, making the computer unusable. I have tried disabling VSync, after reading some responses on this forum, but the problem continued. The only way to use KDE is if I disable all the desktop effects.

My configuration (see below) is far from cutting-edge, but I thought it would be enough to run KDE4.

Single-core Athlon64 AM2 2.0 Ghz
    1 GB RAM
    Motherboard Asus M2NPV-VM, with integrated Geforce 6150 for video.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Re: KWin takes 100% CPU

Originally posted by wesleyer
    Unfortunately, on KDE the kwin process was taking the whole CPU, making the computer unusable. I have tried disabling VSync, after reading some responses on this forum, but the problem continued. The only way to use KDE is if I disable all the desktop effects.

My configuration (see below) is far from cutting-edge, but I thought it would be enough to run KDE4.

Single-core Athlon64 AM2 2.0 Ghz
    1 GB RAM
    Motherboard Asus M2NPV-VM, with integrated Geforce 6150 for video.
    We've had similar issues in our house on much higher specced hardware and medium to high end nvidia discrete gfx cards. I know it's no comfort but I don't think you're alone.

What's been happening to us is that progressively the system (KDE4.1.3) gets slower and slower. After a few hours there is no option but to reboot. On the same PCs the problem does not occur when running a different desktop. I have to conclude that not all is well in KDE.

Cheers

Comment

Does this happen every time you turn desktop effects on?

I remember in the past I would sometimes get two kwin processes running at the same time. One zombie going at 100%, and then a normal one. If I killed the bad one everything returned to normal. If you hit Ctrl-Esc (I believe) it will bring up a list of all your running processes and what % of cpu they are consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
        Does this happen every time you turn desktop effects on?
        I'd turned all enhancements that I could find off. Made no difference.

If you hit Ctrl-Esc (I believe) it will bring up a list of all your running processes and what % of cpu they are consuming.
        open a command shell and issue the top command; there were any number of things that were chewing up resources. My suspicion is that there are some serious memory leaks if there is such a thing in linux. In other words, memory is allocated and freed on release. I haven't been able to work out how to monitor that in linux.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by wesleyer
          On someone else's suggestion I installed KDE4.2 beta a couple of hours ago.

Much better!! Nothing's running away with the CPU.

regards

Comment

After some testing I discovered that if I login with the effects disabled and then turn them on, everything is fine.
            The problem only happens if the effects are on and then I log in.

Comment

Working...
            X