This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Location of KDE Panel Icons

Yeah, its a controversial choice to do a "public beta". But I'm fine with it. Its improving in leaps & bounds this way because it gets loads of eyeballs noticing every glitch.

KDE made huge changes and is still in an early stage. Of course its going to be a bug fest compared to the tried&tested Gnome.

That being said, the current Ark version is starting to annoy me.

Totally off-topic: Just got a fright & thought KDE locked up on me :-X. Then I realised the mouse battery was dead.

Comment

The bugs and missing features can be annoying, but the developers really shouldn't be "torn in strips". This is free software, after all. And if you've followed the development of kde 4 the developers have always been very open about how many rough edges there were.

The other thing that earns them a pass in my mind is the rapid rate of development. Hundreds and hundreds of problems have been fixed since 4.0 was released, and looking ahead to 4.2 things really look a lot better. And if 4.2 doesn't do it for you then perhaps 4.3 will, which will be released 6 months later (not 7+ years like with Windows).

It sounds to me like you had a really bad experience and you've been soured to the whole product. But it really is not as bad for most of us as you make it sound, and it's getting better week by week.

Comment

I'll second that. From the barely useable 4.0 that shipped with HH (what's the saying- don't use x.0 versions?) to the 4.2 beta kde4 has come a very long way. Yes, it is a work in progress and has a few rough edges but give it a few more months and it ought to be really great.

I see a real difference between Kubuntu (and all the other KDE4 distros) and Redmond. Firstly, they aren't charging me a couple of hundred quid to be a beta tester and secondly they aren't forcing anyone to use it by pulling support for its predecessor. Also, given that any upgrade is to a degree a leap into the unknown, it is a great credit to the developers that with many linux versions we get live CDs so we can to a degree know what we will get before we install. We can try before we (don't) buy

I suspect this is not just a kubuntu issue. I can well imagine that opensuse and mandriva suffer from similar KDE4 gripes.

If I have any real gripe with 8.10, it's not with KDE, it's with xorg, which seems to have effectively crippled my already humble Intel 915 graphics card.

Comment

Working...
        X