This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved!] video issues/envy ng

My video cards fan died and my card is barley alive. so i told envy ng to unselect the current driver it had and then choose no other drivers . so now when i boot in kubuntu i have a black screen . how do i get kubuntu to auto config the driver for when i get my new card ? Id hate to have to reinstall for such a simple issue ?

starwolf

Re: video issues/envy ng

Did you try booting into text mode and running
    Code:
    sudo envyng -t
    to get back to your envy options?

Or there is a reconfigure xserver command I think... someone will be here shortly I'm sure to get you back up and running with the nv or vesa driver...

Comment

Just shut down the system -- if you can't see the screen, use Alt-SysRq RSEIUB and hit the power switch when you see the BIOS screen as it restarts.

Install the new card, power it on and on the boot menu choose Recovery Console. When it comes up, choose Fix X and it will set up either VESA or the "nv" driver. Then you can reboot normally into X.

Then you can install EnvyNG and use that to install the proprietary driver.

Comment

got new card and installed envy ng in gnome (kde not working ) gnome boots with new cards is there a way to reinstall kde 4?

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf
          got new card and installed envy ng in gnome (kde not working ) gnome boots with new cards is there a way to reinstall kde 4?
          The app for kde4 is envyng-qt... but anyhow, there is a meta package for the kde desktop, I think it is kde-desktop or perhaps kde4-desktop...

Comment

thanks to all whom replied i got new card in and after installing envy ng driver in gnome desktop my kde desk top came back !!!!!!!!!!!!!! life is good and my kubuntu looks the best it ever has :-)

Comment

Working...
            X