This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) How to install Open Office 3.0

I followed the instructions below but was stuck on the part where it tells you to create a link on your panel. How do you add it to K Menu or better still Lancelot?

http://openofficedocs.wordpress.com/...-30-on-ubuntu/

Re: How to install Open Office 3.0

On the site you linked to, read down through the Responses. You'll find what you are looking for.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      On the site you linked to, read down through the Responses. You'll find what you are looking for.
      Duh, I missed that bit, that did the trick thanks.

Comment

Happy to assist. Please return to your initial post in this thread and click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: (SOLVED) How to install Open Office 3.0

harecanada here. Just wanted to add that this solved my problem also but I had to ajust it a bit and not do the "add link to panel". The last thing I did was add this line : /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice in the terminal and OpenOffice started right up and works great.

Thanks for the help.

harecanada
          harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

That howto is not applicable to KDE4!

So, what is the TRUE/RIGHT method?

It doesn't work. Trying the 'desktop-integration' method gives:

'Package Installer' - openoffice.org-debian-menus

Package: openoffice.org-debian-menus

Status: Error: Conflicts with the installed package 'openoffice.org-core'

Description:
            OpenOffice.org desktop integration

So, this is 100 times harder than it needs to be since Ubuntu wants Kubuntu/KDE to fail or not be used.

Comment

I uninstalled OpenOffice 2.4 core package and then restarted the desktop integration program. I know have OpenOffice 3.0. (There were some nice 'OpenOffice' colour storms of black/gold/other colours in the menu when selecting it but that's another story).

One thing I was unsure of and that is whether it matters where you run the tar file. Where are the OOO and DEB directories supposed to be or does it matter?

I don't think it matters that OO 2.4 is included and probably better to uninstall so you ensure no conflicts. I was told you don't have to but I found another page that suggests to uninstall OO 2.4.

http://linuxfreedom-technoshaun.blog...n-kubuntu.html

Again mixed messages and mostly *Ubuntu/Gnome-centric* install instructions found. :-/

Comment

Working...
              X