This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Activity Folder View = Hotel California

Once I set Desktop Activity to Folder View I can't find a way to get out of that setting back to Default desktop Containment.

After a couple days, Folder View crashed, and I was glad to see the selection option again, but otherwise, once you select Folder View you can never get to the selection options again.

Re: Desktop Activity Folder View = Hotel California

Even with a current Folder View widget on the desktop, you can configure it to show what ever folder you want. Just access the configuration bar and click on the wrench.
    Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Even with a current Folder View widget on the desktop, you can configure it to show what ever folder you want. Just access the configuration bar and click on the wrench.
      You misunderstood the problem.

I want to EXIT folder-view, not direct folder view to a different folder.
      I want to revert to Default containment view.
      I see no switch to do that on your little screen shot. I'm asking where that option resides.

See the screen shot I've attached. Once you select Folder view in from the Desktop Activity selection, there is no way back to the top choice (default containment). You are never presented with this choice again, until folder view crashes for some reason.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

From Qqmike's post Kubuntu & KDE 4 desktop interface: concepts, terms
        The old desktop, the new Folder View, differences
        Quote from:
        http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ
        Q: I heard there are no more icons on the desktop in KDE 4.1.
        A: That is not entirely correct. You can have icons and launchers (shortcuts) by dragging them from Dolphin or the K-menu. What has changed is that the desktop will no longer display the contents of the [/home/user_name/] Desktop folder. However, you can show an arbitrary number of folders (local or remote) on your desktop view, instead of being forced to display only the contents of the "Desktop" folder. To do so, a new applet has been introduced, the Folder View applet.
        In KDE 4.2 you will be also able to use the Folder View as your desktop, replicating the "old style" paradigm.[End quote]

Comment

> n KDE 4.2 you will be also able to use the Folder View as your desktop, replicating the "old style" paradigm.

Ah yes, that's the bit I was exercising.

Do me a favor Snowhog, see my screen shot above, and select Folderview option from the Appearance settings as I have shown, and see if you can get out of it.

(Hint: Backup your settings because on my system I can't undo this selection once made).

Do you think I should file a bug report on this?

Comment

I'm not going to test this out. I'll take your word for it. But you may be able to escape Hotel California by deleting your plasma config files. They will be automatically recreated with default settings once plasma is restarted.

At the command line type the following:

Code:
            kquitapp plasma
            rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
            plasma &
            If something still doesn't seem right you can follow these instructions but add the following command as the 2nd step:

Code:
            rm ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc

Comment

Originally posted by icebike
              Do me a favor Snowhog, see my screen shot above, and select Folderview option from the Appearance settings as I have shown, and see if you can get out of it.
              I haven't figured out how you got to this screen in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                I haven't figured out how you got to this screen in the first place.
                Right click desktop, select Appearance Settings.

But you won't see that screen (as in the screenshot) once you select Folder View.
                Its forever gone till folder view crashes. (Which, it does fairly often).

Comment

Yeah, I don't really understand this either -- my Desktop Settings doesn't look like that, quite. Here's the whole screen, because I wanted to show the "Folder View" desktop (dark rectangle, upper left corner), that hasn't ever crashed since I installed II Beta.

[img width=400 height=300]http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6127/desktopsettingswt8.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by icebike
                    Right click desktop, select Appearance Settings.
                    I have no such option to choose from. Are you running the KDE 4.2 beta?

Comment

I have that option in 4.2 beta.

Comment

Well, I can't test the folder view because it crashes plasma for me for some reason to see if the settings can be accessed in "folder view" -mode...but I'll take your word for it that they can't.

You should be able to work around it by editing ~.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc file, and editing the proper [Containments][X] section (there is a 'Containment' section for each activity/desktop and panel)

Change the 'plugin=folderview' key to desktop (plugin=desktop)

NOTE: plasma must not be running when you save the file:
                        Code:
                        kquitapp plasma
                        2. Edit and save the file
                        Code:
                        plasma &
                        4. You should have the defaul desktop activity back

Comment

Working...
                        X