This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

package conflict botching 4.2 beta 1 upgrade

After trying to install the 4.2 beta1 packages I encountered the following snag. kde-icons-oxygen will not install, and it is causing about 90% of the other packages to not finish their installation as well because they depend on kde-icons-oxygen.

Code:
    Unpacking kde-icons-oxygen (from .../kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.1.80-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa2_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.1.80-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa2_all.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/actions/object-order-front.png', which is also in package koffice-data-kde4
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.1.80-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa2_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    I've tried apt-get -f install and dpkg --configure -a. Any ideas?

Re: package conflict botching 4.2 beta 1 upgrade

> Searching Kubuntu forums with the "error processing trying to overwrite".

>> Search Results: "error processing trying to overwrite"

Maybe this ? >>> Topic: Upgrade to KDE 4.2 beta problem
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

That did get me through the snag. Thanks a lot!

I still have 12 packages that are being held back, including all the plasma packages, though. :P

Comment

Alright, the old trick of removing one of the withheld packages and then reinstalling it cleared up my issues. I had to do it a couple times, but I'm running the beta now.

I have a question about the following repository:

Code:
        deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu[/url] intrepid main
        In the early days of kde4 that was an important repository. Is it still being updated now? Can it be removed from my sources list?

Comment

In the early days of kde4 that was an important repository. Is it still being updated now?
          Yes - >Amarok 2 Release Candidate 1

Submitted on Mon, 2008-11-24
          Amarok 2 release candidate 1 has been released and packages are available for Kubuntu 8.10, the Intrepid Ibex. These packages replace existing Amarok 1.4.10 installations
          Follow the Kubuntu Repository Guide to enable Recommended Updates (backports) and add the following to your 'Third-Party Software' tab: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main

Can it be removed from my sources list?
          It's up to you. The PPA repositories are for the experimental/bleeding edge packages...
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Well I went to kde 4.2 today and had a similar issue but with other packages.
            This is ware I moved from a n00b to a n00b+.

After the install I got a hole slue of errors with some packages, but I did the next step and logged out, and hit alt+e. I am not sure what that did but I logged back in and it would get to the splash screen and go back to the log in prompt. I was in panic mod at this point, took a deep breath and did a cli log in. Here I ran
            Code:
            sudo apt-get upgrade -f
            after a few prompts every thing installed. Now I have not cule how to reboot from cli so I tapped the power button to shut down.

After I powered it back up all was great.

Noel Vh
            ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

nice job. i believe you can reboot from the command line by typing "sudo reboot".

Comment

Bad. NEVER (unless you have NO CHOICE) use the power button to shutdown your PC with the OS running. Real good way to muck things up.

From the CLI, to reboot, type:
                Code:
                sudo shutdown -r now
                To poweroff (this may not work, resulting on a system halt after it is brought down), type:
                Code:
                sudo shutdown -P now
                See:
                man shutdown
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog,
                  Thanks for the CLI they are great. I have added them to my Basket Note data base.
                  Oh I did not hold the power button down I just pressed it once and it went through a normal shutdown.

Thanks

Wes
                  ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Working...
                  X