This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Cairo-dock

Hi everyone. I downloaded and installed the deb packages for cairo and it's plugins, ran cairo and nothing happened. The symbol bounced beside my cursor, the program came up on the bar but a window never showed, the bouncing went away and so did the program on the bar. I don't really know what's going except that maybe I need to installing something called Glitz? It mentioned it but I don't know why or even where to find it.

Thanks,
    Justin

Re: Installing Cairo-dock

You could try typing "cairo" from the command line and it should give you more verbose information about why it's crashing.

Comment

Why did you download the .deb file instead of selecting it for installation through Adept Manager (or Synaptic if you have it installed)? One of the mistakes that people 'new' to Linux make, is not learning to use the package manager that comes with the installation. cairo-dock is available if you search for it in Adept Manager (K Menu > Applications > Systems > Package Manager). Installing a package from the manager ensures that it will install correctly, and that it's the right version for you installed Linux version. That said:

First Launch

If you installed it from the packages, there should be a launcher in the menu, under the "System" sub-menu. If not, just press <ALT>+F2 and type cairo-dock in the window that will appear. To have the backtraces (sometimes useful if a problem should occur), open an terminal and type “cairo-dock &; disown” and press enter.

On first launch, cairo-dock will configure itself and will propose a list of themes (this allows you to have an instant fully functional dock and an overview of the different functionalities and options).

You may have to move the mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen to see the dock if auto-hide has been enabled. (It depends on the theme you choose. Generally, a little image is displayed on the hiding zone. Move your cursor on it)
      After that if you want to test another theme just right click on the Dock and select "Manage themes". Some options are available, try cairo-dock –help (in a terminal) to list them. If you want to learn more about themes and how to create your own theme, you can go to the official site's wiki http://www.cairo-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=Accueil&lang=en
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

trust me, even a person as new as me knows to look on adept first, it wasn't there. I suppose i can get synaptic and look on there though.

-Justin

Comment

Notice the part from Snowhog that said:

Code:
          To have the backtraces (sometimes useful if a problem should occur), open an terminal and type “cairo-dock &; disown” and press enter.
          If you have no luck with Synaptic then definitely try that suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by justinforasec
            trust me, even a person as new as me knows to look on adept first, it wasn't there.
            That's good to know. Do you have all the repositories activated?

K Menu > Applications > System > Package Manager > Sources > Edit Software Sources
            On the Kubuntu Software tab check all. If you don't intend to build from source, you don't need to check Source code.
            On the Third-Party Software tab you should have http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu intrepid partner checked. If you have added the Medibutnu Repository from my link here it should already be checked. If it isn't, check it.
            On the Updates tab check Important security updates, Recommended updates, and Unsupported updates.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have been using Avant for the last 6 months and ran into a snag with a new computer.

I have retired my under desk computer at work ( I needed it for my daughter at home).
              So I grabbed a older HP D530 off the shelf at work. It has a built in intel graphic card (sucks) and dose not run the eye candy well. I could not get compiz running with out major crashes when I used it. So I opted for the build in desktop effects, and am ok with them. When I run Avant and switch between my computers with my KVM the desktop gets all screwed up. Avant would end up in the middle of the desktop with the back ground shadow in one of the corners.

I soon did some looking and found Cairo and quickly installed it. Here is how I did install it.
              Code:
              deb [url]http://repository.cairo-dock.org/ubuntu[/url] intrepid cairo-dock
              Code:
              wget -q [url]http://repository.cairo-dock.org/ubuntu/cairo-dock.gpg[/url] -O- | sudo apt-key add -
              I did have a problem getting this to run took some playing with to get the key added.

Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
              Now that it is running I have to change all most all of the launchers as they are for Ubuntu and don't work with Kubuntu. A simple drag and drop work to add launchers. To run it I found the launcher under system in the menu.

Noel Vh
              ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

I tried it out last week and it seems to work well once you've removed all the Ubuntu stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01

I tried it out last week and it seems to work well once you've removed all the Ubuntu stuff.
                  I especially like the way you can drag and drop apps from the main menu, it even works with Lancelot.

Comment

ok I finally got around to trying synaptic to install cairo, it worked, but now I cna't find Cairo to see if it runs.

-Justin

Comment

ok I finally got around to trying synaptic to install cairo, it worked, but now I cna't find Cairo to see if it runs.

-Justin
                      You need to right mouse on the desktop, select run command and type cairo-dock. It defaults to auto hide so you also need to mouse over the panel at the bottom of the screen.

Comment

Thanks! I found it and it's working lol, what a miracle. Now to try n change the icons.

-Justin

Comment

Thanks! I found it and it's working lol, what a miracle. Now to try n change the icons.

-Justin
                          Changing the icons is easy, just right click on an icon and select Remove this launcher, you can then drag and drop new apps from the menu.

Comment

I was looking for a dock like this. Thanks

Comment

How do I add a Kmenu thing? Also, when i try to remove KDE's panel with the task manager n everything on it (cause im gonna use cairo) it has an error, says theres been a crash and the panel comes back up.

-Justin

Comment

Working...
                              X