X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to KDE 4.2 beta problem

I got the following error when package manager was upgrading:
    Code:
    Unpacking pkg-kde-tools (from .../pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kubuntu-desktop-i18n/findfiles', which is also in package kdesdk-scripts
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    And so some of the packages didn't get configured:
    Code:
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs5-dev:                  
     kdelibs5-dev depends on pkg-kde-tools; however:                          
     Package pkg-kde-tools is not installed.                             
    dpkg: error processing kdelibs5-dev (--configure):                         
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured                            
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdepimlibs5-dev:                
     kdepimlibs5-dev depends on kdelibs5-dev (>= 4:4.1.80); however:                  
     Package kdelibs5-dev is not configured yet.                           
    dpkg: error processing kdepimlibs5-dev (--configure):                       
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-workspace-dev:             
     kdebase-workspace-dev depends on kdepimlibs5-dev (>= 4:4.1.0); however:              
     Package kdepimlibs5-dev is not configured yet.                          
    dpkg: error processing kdebase-workspace-dev (--configure):                    
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libplasma-dev:
     libplasma-dev depends on kdelibs5-dev (= 4:4.1.80-0ubuntu1~intrepid1~ppa2); however:
     Package kdelibs5-dev is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing libplasma-dev (--configure):
     kdelibs5-dev
     kdepimlibs5-dev
     kdebase-workspace-dev
     libplasma-dev
    I tried "sudo dpkg --configure -a" which resulted in above message "and sudo apt-get install pkg-kde-tools" that provided the first message.

I havent restarted KDE yet.

What should I do?

B

Re: Upgrade to KDE 4.2 beta problem

Welcome to the wonderful world of beta. Check periodically for further updates (later same day/daily). As soon as the other package dependencies are placed into the repositories, this should be resolved.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had zero problems running the upgrade in Adept, just added the
      deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main to my third-party repos list, let it build the list and then installed the updates.
      Looks super sweet, only had a couple of problems so far. Nothing major though.
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

You need to remove the development packages. Or wait until the development packages become available. I had to do this for both my Kubuntu computers. The good news is the beta certainly looks worth it.

I can't recall the exact packages removed -- it varied as the machines weren't identical in their package installation. Here is what might work for you:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install wajig
        sudo wajig list-installed |grep 'kde.*-dev'
        sudo wajig purge kdelibs5-dev kdepimlibs5-dev \
         kdebase-workspace-dev kdebase-workspace-dev libplasma-dev kdesdk-scripts
        sudo wajig fix-configure
        sudo wajig fix-missing
        sudo wajig fix-install
        I am never certain about the right order of fix-* commands, so you might need to re-order the commands.

Once I got out of dependency hell, I was able to reinstall libplasma-dev and compile a plasmoid. So what was done was perhaps over the top, but it worked.

Good luck!

Comment

Sadly I can't install wajig (or anything else) because apt always gives me the same error:
          Code:
          blaz@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install wajig
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
          The following packages have unmet dependencies:
           kdelibs5-dev: Depends: pkg-kde-tools but it is not going to be installed
           wajig: Depends: dselect but it is not going to be installed
          E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
          Fortunately everything seems to work anyway, but I would still like to resolve this issue.

Any other ideas?

Comment

I have the same issue. I suspect the solution is to wait a few days...

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlaze
              I got the following error when package manager was upgrading:
              Code:
              Unpacking pkg-kde-tools (from .../pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb) ...
              dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb (--unpack):
               trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kubuntu-desktop-i18n/findfiles', which is also in package kdesdk-scripts
               /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb
              E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
              I am not sure about kdelibs5-dev but I got exactly the same message while upgrading to 4.2 Beta 1. Normally, I do the following:

When you get the error message, without closing the update manager, open up konsole and do

Step 1:
              Code:
              cp /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb .
              Now close the update manager, and in konsole execute:

Step 2:
              Code:
              sudo dpkg -i --force-all ./pkg-kde-tools_0.2ubuntu2~intrepid1~ppa1_all.deb
              This will produce some errors, but will install anyway. Now open the update manager again (I use synaptic), resolve any broken dependencies, reload, mark all upgrades, apply. In my case, some more errors, while trying to overwrite, occurred (two more packages, if I remember correctly). Repeat step one and two with the new problem packages, go back to the update manager, and, hopefully, the upgrade process will finish successfully this time. Of course, I do not recommend any of this, but if you're willing two use the beta, this shouldn't bother you that much.

Comment

I had the same problem and running
                Code:
                $ sudo apt-get remove kdelibs5-dev libplasma-dev
                was enough to resolve it.

Comment

@bagofchickens:
                  Oujeah!
                  This worked! Thank you!

B