X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't start X at boot

Heya,

I want to know how to set things up so X doesn't start at boot. (Because I'm putting my computer in a server room for the university vacation, and will only be remote accessing it). What do I need to do? I knew how in old-style init, but it's all changed now right?
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Re: Don't start X at boot

Why not just uninstall X/KDE?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Here's an old suggestion regarding doing this in gnome. From the console type:

Code:
      sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
      I'm guessing you could change the gdm to kdm and that would prevent kdm from starting at boot. To restore gdm (change to kdm) when done they recommend this:

Code:
      update-rc.d -f gdm defaults
      Here's the thread I found this in: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...logon-box.html

Comment

Thanks, that did the trick.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Nice on, Nate. That got rid of the login screen. All X related programmes are still there, though. If that is no problem (I dunno, some 200MBs of space we are talking about here) then all is hunky dory If not, uninstall the kubuntu-desktop package as well. And then some using sudo apt-get autoremove.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X