X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change permissions for automounted usb discs

Hello,

I have a question to which I couldn't find any answer.

When I plug a usb flash drive, It gets mounted in /media/USB DISK (or any other name). The owner is me, but the group is root. This can be good in a general situation but I need group to be my main group, and change permissions as 770.

I do not want to do a chgrp and chmod after mount the disc, but have it mounted in that way.

I have looked around and I'm almost sure it must have something to do this file:
    Code:
    /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20-storage-methods.fdi
    or one or the other files in that directory.

I should look inside this files and understand how the works, but if someone has experience in this matters... it will be much better.

Thanks.

Re: Change permissions for automounted usb discs

My experience isn't real recent, on that topic:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

However, it strikes me that if you change that file, that change affects EVERYTHING that gets plugged into the USB ports. That may be OK with you, or it may not. Just remember that your system cannot anticipate what will be plugged in next -- it's not like hard drives that remain connected and use their UUID's for mounting.

Comment

Re: Change permissions for automounted usb discs

Hello,
      thanks for pointing me that, I know that the change will be system-wide... but I think one should be able to write something that only affect to something that has a filesystem, for example.

The problem is that there is no much documentation around how it works, and even, I think there is something with gconf also for kde, so it is not so trivial... probably it not just that file:
      (/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20-storage-methods.fdi), but also another one(s). I say this because in that file are defined some options that can be used for the mount, umask, fmask, uid, .... but not the values that will given to them.

Some help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X