This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Disastrous Open Office 3 install

Having used version 3 before, I decided to install it to my new build Kubuntu Intrepid machine after removing version 2.4. However I had problems downloading the tar from the OO site so downloaded the .deb packages instead & set about manually installing each one separately. I didn't install some of the language pack .debs as I didn't need them. Thinking it'd gone smoothly I checked in the K-menu only to find no shortcuts there. I'm pretty convinced it installed ok, although there were a couple of dependency issues which I resolved by installing whatever package was mentioned first, but how do I get the applications in the K-menu ?

Re: Disastrous Open Office 3 install

when you download the debs, there is a desktop-integration folder, with one file in it..run that deb, and IIRC, that will add the menu items for you.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

You could have foound the folder with the debs in it and done dpkg -i *.deb

I have installed OO3 from the tar. I opened the file and use that command and it worked with out a problem.

Noel Vh
      ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Perform a combination of what both gentlemen above me said - extract the tar into a folder, go into said folder and 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb', then go into the desktop-integration folder and 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. Too easy.

Comment

It won't do any harm to re-install all the debs will it ? I recall when I tried to install the desktop integration deb there was a dependency issue which I couldn't resolve.
          The tar files I downloaded were corrupted and wouldn't extract properly. I'll have another go with the debs tonight, thanks for the replies.

Comment

A search of the forum would have saved you some bother: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098394.0
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing ! If I'd known I'd have just added the repos. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Any idea when the repositories will be back up?

re: this article
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0070#msg160070

Comment

Hi, which ones? I don't believe these are down:

At least I'm not getting any errors. Let us know...
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    Hi, which ones? I don't believe these are down:

At least I'm not getting any errors. Let us know...
                    I get a FAILED message for the http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main when I try to upgrade in adept. Most of the other repositories say OK or cached. I don't know how to save the output of that so I can't post it here.

The repositories are in my repository list and unsupported updates are checked.

Thanks for the look

Comment

I had the same issue when i tried to install from the repos. I added every thing but it would shouw up in the list. How ever it did no my laptop, but not my 2 desktops even though the are all the same as I installed them at the same time.

So that is why I did the DL from OO and installed the debs

Noel Vh
                      ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Working...
                      X