This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you use Ark?

Okay, someone set me straight. I'm trying to use Ark (GUI) in Intrepid. I'm following the manual, but I can't create the archive.

I open Ark. I click on New. I navigate to my home directory. I type in the archive name (bluemoon.gz) and click Save.
    Ark shows a file (bluemoon) of 0 B size. The Add File and Add Folder icons are active.

I've tried dragging the folder I want to create the archive from to the Ark window, but that just results in the name disappearing. I've tried clicking on the Add Folder and clicking on the folder containing my files. Nothing happens. Nada. The name of the file displayed in Ark (bluemoon) doesn't change. Nothing is added.

What am I missing here?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: How do you use Ark?

ark is really weird..i mean, i can't put the file i want in a directory then right click, add to archive or something like fileroller in gnome. But hey, it's kde so there's maybe other way or just stick with tar for now.

Comment

Thank heavens it not just me - my experience identical to above - cant
      make head or tail of it - it refuses to complete creation of a new archive
      Can someone who knows put me out of my misery

Comment

Ark in KDE4 is weird and unusable. Check out rar CLI manual. Saves a lot of time and frustration. New (hopefully better) Ark will be implemented in KDE4.

Comment

No problem using tar from the CLI - which I did. And I do anticipate that ARK issues will be resolved soon, or at least when KDE 4.2 is released.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X