This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox opens only once

I am able to open Firefox only once. If I close it and then try again I get the following message:
    Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

Firefox was installed on Intrepid after a clean install with the "sudo apt-get install" command.
    To use Firefox again, I have to restart (or logout) of my computer. What can I do to change this?
    Errol

Re: firefox opens only once

The issue is that firefox is not closing properly and is still running in the background.
    Go to K-menu -> Applications -> System -> System Monitor, find firefox in the process table and kill it.
    Or, using a terminal, type
    Code:
     sudo pkill firefox-bin

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Is this a one time fix or will I have to do it very time?

Comment

I'm afraid you'll have to apply it every time the error appears.

Comment

@ errol

The background:

If a SW crashes, it might be that the process (or parts of the processes) are sill running (but you do not see it). In this case what musta says is basically correct. You need to destroy the stucking processes.

When you do this, I suggest not to use "sudo pkill PROCESS_NAME", but "pkill PROCESS_NAME". This ensures that you kill only processes which belong to your user. Otherwise you can kill system processes.... and if you are not shure what you kill there then your system may become a fuzzy :P

A general workaround is, when you find out, why firefox still runs in the background after you close it.

(maybe you are too fast? You need to wait some seconds, before starting a new firefox... the old one needs also some time to dissappear and clean up).

Maybe you get some error messages. Try starting firefox from a terminal. It might show you errors when you close the program afterwords.

Cheers,
          Oliver

Comment

Firefox (and swiftweasel, et al) give that error message because of a bug in gtk-qt-engine which I'm not sure if it has ever been reported (few Firefox/KDE4 users, maybe?). The only solution I've found that works, and doesn't require constantly killing firefox is to purge gtk-qt-engine and install kcm-gtk-kde4 which seems to work much better, in my opinion. It also installs a kcontrol module in system settings (same place where gtk-qt-engine's setting were).

Hope that helps!

Comment

PatheticMoFo I did as you suggested. Firefox is working ok meanwhile. Thanks, this seems to be the answer. I'll report back in a few days after seeing if Firefox continues to work as it should.
              Errol

Comment

Unfortunately PatheticMoFo your fix didn't work. I got the same message now and had to use the "pkill" command. I think the problem has something to do with extentions because when opening Firefox after "pkill" my "addon box opens telling me what addons I have. Just my shot in the dark. Any new ideas welcome.
                Errol

Comment

Sorry. And I was so sure that was the problem! Oh well, now I'm really stumped.

Did you by any chance try changing the settings in the system settings module for kcm-gtk? I know, I know my fix probably won't work, just trying anything though!

Comment

Yet another workaround but not a solution. You may use this to kill Firefox. Just drop this icon on your panel. Click it each time you wish to close FF.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yytdzjgjyzi

Comment

Originally posted by PatheticMoFo
                      Firefox (and swiftweasel, et al) give that error message because of a bug in gtk-qt-engine which I'm not sure if it has ever been reported (few Firefox/KDE4 users, maybe?). The only solution I've found that works, and doesn't require constantly killing firefox is to purge gtk-qt-engine and install kcm-gtk-kde4 which seems to work much better, in my opinion. It also installs a kcontrol module in system settings (same place where gtk-qt-engine's setting were).

Hope that helps!
                      Worked for me!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X