This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gwenview and Firefox questions

I have a few questions, and rather than using multiple posts, I'm just going to put them all here.

1. Gwenview doesn't play animated GIFs. I have no idea why, and I can't figure out how to fix it. I don't know if it's a known issue like the plugins, or if it's something to do with my setup somehow.

2. In previous versions of Kubuntu, Firefox would have a default home page that pointed to a local file that was just a generic "Welcome" page for that version of Kubuntu. But when I did an upgrade to Intrepid, it didn't reset the Firefox 3 home page. I ended up switching to the Firefox default (Mozilla.org) but it would be nice if someone could tell me where the welcome page for Intrepid is located. If it still exists in this version.

3. I want to be able to open .swf files in Firefox. The files are saved on my hard drive. Firefox won't open them. I attempt to open the files with Firefox, and it gives me the File Save dialog. I checked the Applications tab in the Preferences, and underneath the two Shockwave Flash entries is an "SWF" entry (despite the fact that one of the Shockwave Flash entries specifically deals with the swf extension) that Firefox doesn't seem to know what to do with. I can't get it to just open an SWF file using the installed Flash Player (non-free). It would be great if there was a stand alone Flash Player (for version 9 or 10), but last I checked the stand alone players were only at Flash 7.

Re: Gwenview and Firefox questions

swf files

sudo apt-get install swfdec-mozilla (or use adept, synaptic or other package manager)

have a look also at swftools for creating them

you can use Edit | preferences | main in firefox to set the home page. I think that there isn't a kubuntu default as there used to be.

About gwenview - I don't know. Maybe someone else can help.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
      swf files

sudo apt-get install swfdec-mozilla (or use adept, synaptic or other package manager)

have a look also at swftools for creating them

you can use Edit | preferences | main in firefox to set the home page. I think that there isn't a kubuntu default as there used to be.

About gwenview - I don't know. Maybe someone else can help.
      So I can't just make Firefox use Adobe Flash Player 10 to open .swf files stored locally? I mean, I would use an alternative, but I honestly don't trust them to be as fully featured as the official product.

To give a bit more info, when I go to the Preferences window, over to the Applications tab, and scroll down, I get some options. There are "Shockwave Flash file (application/futuresplash)" and "Shockwave Flash file (application/x-shockwave-flash)" which are set to "Use Shockwave Flash (in Firefox)." Then there is another entry simply titled "SWF file" which is currently set to "Always ask."

The problem here is that if I open a .swf file that is linked to a web page, it will open up without problem. If I open up a .swf file using the "File->Open File..." command, it will bring up the Save File dialog, despite the file being local.

I have no idea if it's even possible to edit the entries in the Applications tab, but it would be nice to either remove the "SWF file" entry or at least tell it to use the Flash plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeikcied

The problem here is that if I open a .swf file that is linked to a web page, it will open up without problem. If I open up a .swf file using the "File->Open File..." command, it will bring up the Save File dialog, despite the file being local.

I have no idea if it's even possible to edit the entries in the Applications tab, but it would be nice to either remove the "SWF file" entry or at least tell it to use the Flash plugin.
        The first time firefox brings up the Save File dialog, you can choose open with and the program. Most of the programs are in /usr/bin
        Then next time you use firefox to open that type of program it will automatically use the program you have selected.

I think that there is another way to edit the settings, but I can't remember what it is. Sorry.

Edit: There is also Kmenu | System | System settings | Advanced | File associations

here, you can look for any type such as .swf and associate it to an application
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
          Originally posted by Zeikcied

The first time firefox brings up the Save File dialog, you can choose open with and the program. Most of the programs are in /usr/bin
          Then next time you use firefox to open that type of program it will automatically use the program you have selected.

I think that there is another way to edit the settings, but I can't remember what it is. Sorry.

Edit: There is also Kmenu | System | System settings | Advanced | File associations

here, you can look for any type such as .swf and associate it to an application
          But I'm not trying to open it in an external program. I want it to be opened in Firefox. If I use the Save File dialog to tell it to open it up in Firefox, it will attempt to do so, only to bring up the Save File dialog again.

And I don't think it would help to add a file association, as .swf files are already associated with Firefox, but that doesn't change the behavior of Firefox.

I want Firefox to open the .swf file in a Firefox window (preferably the same window) and use the Adobe Flash Player plugin to play it, just like it does any .swf file linked to a web page. But I can't figure out how to make Firefox do what I want.

Comment

I figured out my SWF problem with Firefox.

I went to the mimetypes.rdf file (located in ~/.mozilla/firefox/{profile}) and removed the entry for SWF files. Now Firefox opens .swf files like any other Flash file.

So I figured that out, and it seems like there is no more Welcome page. So that leaves the Gwenview issue of not playing GIF animations.

It only shows the first frame, and doesn't animate them. I don't know if this is an issue of a software upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid, or what. I installed KDE 4.0 upon its release in Hardy, and I think Gwenview worked just fine. It's only since the upgrade to Intrepid that it's stopped playing the animations.

Comment

Working...
            X